Left hook of note

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
I would quite likely hold primary for either scenario, whether I was turning left or going straight.

Ok,cheers,i guess again it would depend where i was in the first place,being a primary coward,i do tent to stick mainly with secondary.

Lefthook-secondary.jpg

Cyclist 1 = in secondary

Lefthook-primary.jpg

Cyclist 2 = in primary

OK Col, here you go.

Look at the difference between the two, Cyclist 1's road positioning left enough space for the driver to think they could fit round the corner too. There is a tiny amount of escape room for the cyclist to get away from the turning van, and and the red line, marking the cyclists line through the corner, goes under the van...

Cyclist 2's primary positition on the turning approach would normally be enough to stop the van overtaking at all, however I have assumed the driver is the DHL guy who did this very manouver to me only last week. Check out how much escape room the cyclist has in this position - that is room to brake, to pull further into the turn, to throw yourself from the bike as the van comes in to crush you even.

The main point about assuming primary coming to a turning is that it discourages senseless overtaking that can lead to left hooks, if there was traffic in the oncoming lane or on the opposite side of the turning, the DHL van wouldn't have tried the maouver.

p.s. I would take the primary.

col

Legendary Member
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Lefthook-secondary.jpg

Cyclist 1 = in secondary

Lefthook-primary.jpg

Cyclist 2 = in primary

OK Col, here you go.

Look at the difference between the two, Cyclist 1's road positioning left enough space for the driver to think they could fit round the corner too. There is a tiny amount of escape room for the cyclist to get away from the turning van, and and the red line, marking the cyclists line through the corner, goes under the van...

Cyclist 2's primary positition on the turning approach would normally be enough to stop the van overtaking at all, however I have assumed the driver is the DHL guy who did this very manouver to me only last week. Check out how much escape room the cyclist has in this position - that is room to brake, to pull further into the turn, to throw yourself from the bike as the van comes in to crush you even.

The main point about assuming primary coming to a turning is that it discourages senseless overtaking that can lead to left hooks, if there was traffic in the oncoming lane or on the opposite side of the turning, the DHL van wouldn't have tried the maouver.

p.s. I would take the primary.

Cheers for that JRG,it couldnt be any clearer:smile:

Top Bottom