Left hook takes me out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simon_m

Guru
Good god, anyone else on here see my lucky escape this evening. Plenty of cyclists about. I thinks it's kennington road, between Brixton and the church on the corner which has the farmers Market on Saturday.

"lots of swear words, €~$|+<€?$~$ ~$~*{ ~*|$~$. And some more". Some effing **** just took me out on my new bike. Cycling home, road a bit damp, approaching crossroads and going straight over. Tw@@ty green car with blacked out windows overtakes as I am a bikes length from junction and swings in to turn left. Que lots of effing and blinding as I'm slamming on breaks, unclipping shoes etc. He has turned in so quick and sharp that my front wheel is going along the side of his car! As his mate looks stupidly out the window Managed to stay up right. More swearing. Now at home with large drink. Didn't get reg, too busy staying upright and swearing. Everyone there who witnessed it could not believe it, and how lucky I was. Que more swearing and possible helmet camera

Sounds nasty.:sad::angry:

Best to put that down to experience. Just out of interest (and certainly not suggesting that you were at fault in any way), but how was your road position. Were you in primary. If you weren't it might be worth considering at junctions like this. It can discourage the muppets.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nasty, but edit a few words in there please......you'll get a warning.

At least no damage done, other than probable scratches down the car from your tyres....

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Nasty, but edit a few words in there please......you'll get a warning.

At least no damage done, other than probable scratches down the car from your tyres....

+nasty.

Looks like the sweary filter might just have flown up Shaun's to-do list though!

Arch

Married to Night Train
I think swearing is understandable in the circs, but cheers for editing it out... Oh, you missed one...
Glad to hear you stayed upright. I thought I was going over last week when a cyclist right hookd me as I overtook him, and there was a lot of swearyness then too...

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
Didn't think I had swan in the post, I put lots of gobbledygook in myself. Didn't want to get kicked when only just joined lol.

Road position is always good and in primary. Only with thus piece of road there is a double large drain cover which straddles the lane, I did go left of it after overtaking a fixie. Maybe that part not primary, but it's impossible to be. At the speed I was going, 20mph +. It was obvious, if he saw me with my dayglo high vizz hump bag cover, that I was going straight on

Didn't think I had swan in the post, I put lots of gobbledygook in myself. Didn't want to get kicked when only just joined lol.

Road position is always good and in primary. Only with thus piece of road there is a double large drain cover which straddles the lane, I did go left of it after overtaking a fixie. Maybe that part not primary, but it's impossible to be. At the speed I was going, 20mph +. It was obvious, if he saw me with my dayglo high vizz hump bag cover, that I was going straight on

Ah, fair enough. Get yersel a helmet camera then! :smile: (Although Mr Hippo won't talk to you after you do, except to call you a chav! :tongue:)

Arch

Married to Night Train

Just the one little word you put in - it's been starred out now... Understandable, as I said, in the heat of the moment.

Cycling home, road a bit damp, approaching crossroads and going straight over. Tw@@ty green car with blacked out windows overtakes as I am a bikes length from junction and swings in to turn left.

I feel for you - it happened to me about 18 years ago, I came around in the ambulance - other than concussion I was somehow OK - head (in helmet) hit the handrail of the pedestrain railings - neither the off duty police officer or the doctor who witnessed it all understood how I came out OK. Had some interesting striped brusies for weeks afterwards.
Hope you are feeling better now.

That said a member of staff where I now work nearly took me out on Tuesday evening despite my hiviz waterproof and front lights - still working out how to tactfully approach that situation (HR have recommended a subtle email to all staff - still working on the contents!) If you have any suggestions...

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
Thanks guys. Sounds like it happens a lot then, and some very lucky escapes. Shame no police say this. Can't believe he didn't see me or thought he could turn left on me. Crazy. Camera could be a good thing, is small, light and descreet. Ideas?

Got insurance now. Really lucky front wheel did not catch on his back bumper as it slide along side of car. Grrrr

Arch

Married to Night Train
Thanks guys. Sounds like it happens a lot then, and some very lucky escapes. Shame no police say this. Can't believe he didn't see me or thought he could turn left on me. Crazy.

I think it's one of many possibilites.

1. He didn't see you. He was in his own little world, and not paying attention. On 'autopilot'
2. He saw you, and didn't care. Not unlikely, I fear.
3. He saw you but assumed that as a bike, you would be moving at a snails pace, virtually stationary, and that in a car he could easily be past you and turn before you reached the corner. A lot of people seem to have trouble with the concept of a bike moving at more than a crawl.

I think the latest recommended camera is the Muvi - search here or google. There are also cheaper 'clones' available. It's on my treats list.

QuinnDexter

Seems like more and more people are going for helmet cams to capture corkers like this. Remember though that the driver had probably just been to supermarket to spend his benefits and was probably looking forward to going home to sit on his fat arse and play his stolen Xbox.

Remember, the business end of your pump can also be used as an effective weapon :angry:

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Ah Simon-glad you managed to not get hurt.

I know that stretch of road very well and it can be a nightmare for left hooks - take it easy and glad you and the bike are ok.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
Haha. But I only have a gas cylinder pump, so unless I put the gas bottle on my old paintball gun, I can't do much

Yes the cam looks good, small and pretty good quality. Cheap too. Not checked the specs on it yet though.

Thanks, it could have been nasty Never had any problems there before tt. I know the lights change very quickly for each direction of the crossroad. Think there is a daycare centre in the corner. His dippy mate looking out the window at me should have said something though, as he was cm from me as I was shouting lol

Top Bottom