Left or Right

Which side would you like to travel on, on the roads...

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Hover Fly said:
As another left hander I prefer a RHD car, the gear lever hand brake etc. are then placed for the left hand so easier to use.
On my Fiat MPV, (right-hand drive) the handbrake is between the driver's seat and the door (ie on your right)... took some getting used to at first!

jorgemartin

As a European coming to London I was first a bit nervous about riding the bike on the right but it took me one minute to get used to it.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Either. Ive cycled on the right many times, and do a god few miles cycling on the right, and its never really bothered me.
But, i think if you bring driving on the right in over here, alot of people would get confused, and drive on the left, or go down a road and be on the left etc.
Although it could be amusing when there was the 'switch over'
Cars just going down one side of the road, turn over to the other side, so there will be cars switching sides.
It will be impossible to do over here i say!

D4VOW

I'm all for changing to the right but I think it would be too much hassle and far too expensive to do. I also think we should switch to km. I can't believe we are still stuck in the past and not using metric measurements for everything.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Fnaar said:
As a left-hander, I have to say that driving abroad (on the right) feels a lot more natural to me :smile:

I'm a right hander but it also feels more natural to drive the way they do on the continent and in America. In fact, I never have any trouble driving on their side but when I come back, I have to concentrate hard to stay on the side I'm more used to. Is that weird?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
tyred said:
It would be a logistical nightmare which would cost a fortune. Every roundabout and traffic light would have to be reworked, road signs changed...

I have driven a left hand drive car (in this country). It's not a problem apart from being difficult to overtake slower traffic. Every existing car on the road would then have this problem which would surely lead to an increase in accidents.

Plus, every bus in the country has the entry/exit doors on the left. If we changed to the other side of the ride every bus would have to be scrapped and replaced with a new one.

Top Bottom