Leg Fatigue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigboy

I know there are loads of scientific answers floating about over the last 2 pages but i get like this when i haven't eaten/drank enough. I know you are doing it to lose a bit of weight but cant remember if you said you were dieting too. maybe just as simple as there aint enough quality fuel goin in to get the results out.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I am Spartacus said:
I have a deep seated desire to read around a subject and understand fundamentals of human physiology especially in connection with exercise and fitness.

tbh there are more succinct resources freely available that explains the relationship between exercise and lactate and lactic acidosis, much better than my attempts.

Just to underline that lactic acid is NOT the cause of muscle fatigue... I agree that this is still an area of contention, but there are now a whole battalion of possible agents that contribute to the feeling of heavy/dead legs.

Just bringing out the mantra of 'it's lactic acid' is pure simplification of a highly complicated process.

... and it don't cause muscle soreness either...

back to the OP.. he still needs to maintain building and improving base aerobic fitness. The rest will follow suit in due course as appropriate to his aims.

I think the theory say's that Lactic acid is undesirable in muscle tissue and is readily oxidised (broken down to yield energy) as soon as sufficient Oxygen levels/flow return to change the tissue from anaerobic to aerobic conditions. The thought that it somehow sits around for hours in the muscle at any appreciable concentration is I think is a myth that's being debunked.

Lacic acid build-up in the muscle is a good thing after death however as it aids rigor-mortise and tenderising of the muscle... yum!

jimboalee

Fab Foodie said:
I think the theory say's that Lactic acid is undesirable in muscle tissue and is readily oxidised (broken down to yield energy) as soon as sufficient Oxygen levels/flow return to change the tissue from anaerobic to aerobic conditions. The thought that it somehow sits around for hours in the muscle at any appreciable concentration is I think is a myth that's being debunked.

Lacic acid build-up in the muscle is a good thing after death however as it aids rigor-mortise and tenderising of the muscle... yum!

Lactic acid is dispersed into the body just about as fast as your circulatory system can get it out of the muscle.
If there is good circulatory blood flow, the lactic acid is taken away and eventually converted back into ATP.

Lactic acid will continue to be produced as long as the muscles operate in an anaerobic condition, but as soon as aerobic exercise is regained, the lactic acid is taken away pretty quickly.

FF +1

If there is still a 'burn' after an hour, it is a sign of complete un-fitness.
Do not confuse this with the pain from damage incurred during exercise beyond the muscle's capability.

Training at this level is best done with a personal fitness instructor in attendance.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
jimboalee said:
Lactic acid is dispersed into the body just about as fast as your circulatory system can get it out of the muscle.
If there is good circulatory blood flow, the lactic acid is taken away and eventually converted back into ATP.

Lactic acid will continue to be produced as long as the muscles operate in an anaerobic condition, but as soon as aerobic exercise is regained, the lactic acid is taken away pretty quickly.

FF +1

If there is still a 'burn' after an hour, it is a sign of complete un-fitness.
Do not confuse this with the pain from damage incurred during exercise beyond the muscle's capability.

Training at this level is best done with a personal fitness instructor in attendance.

Yay Jimbo! Agreement!

Cheers
FF ;)

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Originally Posted by jimboalee

I suffer with lactic acid as I have emphysema and low iron levels, the iron in the blood helps to carry oxygen around the body and with emphysema I'm not getting all the oxygen I need so I have a double whammy

lukesdad

I do mega miles each month and from experience ( not theory all though Ive read a lot of it) Fatigue in my case usually boils down to 2 Fundamentals 1. muscle fatigue-inssuficient stretching or lack of warming up/down.2. General fatigue (lethargy)-dehydration,normally not enough fluid usually in time when not riding.

jimboalee

Fab Foodie said:
Yay Jimbo! Agreement!

Cheers
FF ;)

Human physiology is human physiology.

The argument is whether it was spontaneously created, redesigned through intervention or came about by natural selection.

Top Bottom