Legal advice advice

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Maggot, 20 Jul 2007.

  1. Maggot

    Maggot Guest

    I wonder if any of our resident legal boffins could assist me not being done over like last time? I am being made redundant soon, and have been sent through a comprimise agreement by my employers. Now the last time I went through this process the solicitor I went to really tried to do me over! My question is, is pretty much any solicitor capable of handling this sort of matter, or do I need to go to one with certain initials after their name? How long should it take, and what should it cost me, the company are paying up to £500, does this seem reasonable?

    Lastly, do any of you fancy doing it? If I am lining someones pocket I'd rather know the money was going towards a new bike than a new set of golf-clubs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. spen666

    spen666 Guru

    If you want specialist advice- go to a lawyer specialising in the subject.

    I wouldn't go to someone who is not a specialist.

    eg if you want advice on criminal law would you want to ask Patrick S a conveyancer or me- a criminal practitioner

    similarily- if you want your house conveyed would you want me or Patrick?

    Choose someone who practices in the Area you want to use
  3. Cycling Naturalist

    Cycling Naturalist Legendary Member

    I've done 20 compromise agreements in the last month for employees with a range of employers from overseas companies to charities. The average cost is £200 plus vat. You need someone who knows all about them because they're a bit fiddly, so I'm the only one in my firm who deals with them.

    If you're interested, send me a pm.
  4. Arch

    Arch Married to Night Train

    Salford, UK
    Depends where I want it conveyed to...

    And whether I want to fight off amorous advances in the process.. :tongue:
    classic33 likes this.
  5. spen666

    spen666 Guru

    I could probably do a successful bail application for your house or mitigate for it to get it a community service order instead of a immediate prison sentence
  6. Arch

    Arch Married to Night Train

    Salford, UK

    I will bear this in mind if my house ever commits a crime...:tongue:
  7. Splee

    Splee New Member

    York (ish)
    Something else you might be interested in.
    Look at your house insurance to see if they will cover additional legal expenses (providing you have a house etc !!)
    My wife has just been made redundant with immediate effect. The only one in the company :confused:. She went to see an employment law specialist to be told to fight it as it is actually unfair dismissal. Theres a lot of sh!t in the back ground so its quite a lengthy story which obviously you don't need to know as you have your own problems .......... hope all turns out for the better.
  8. ChrisKH

    ChrisKH Veteran

    £500's about average for the city (from an employer's perspective). Make sure you're getting what you want (and as much as you want). Good luck.

    I should imagine for £500, Patrick will throw in a massage as well. :0)
  9. Cycling Naturalist

    Cycling Naturalist Legendary Member

    Would it be fighting or token resistance? :?:
  10. Arch

    Arch Married to Night Train

    Salford, UK

    Oh, quite token, I expect...:?:
  11. Tim Bennet.

    Tim Bennet. Entirely Average Member

    S of Kendal
    If I had a baby elephant........ I would get it to spray cold water over Patrick and Arch.
  12. spen666

    spen666 Guru

    My house has not been made redundant
  13. Nortones2

    Nortones2 Veteran

    You might want to check the Law Society website: re specialisms and re choosing a solicitor.

    Additionally, on the LS site you can check the firms areas of claimed expertise, and the status of the individual solicitor(s) with the firm, e.g. their specialism, their standing.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice