Legal in the UK: throttle e-bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Emanresu

Have seen a lot of these in Italy last week. They and the e-scooters whizz through the narrow streets - both kids and adults. Saw very few PAS bikes as these throttle bikes are preferred.

IMG_4737.JPEG

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Are they legal in the UK? https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules says it needs type approval: does it have it?

The picture seems to have pedals - so presumably they can be pedalled

Just a throttle that allows you to go up to full speed - whatever that is (25kph???)

Used to be allowed in the UK pre 2016 - but also with lower motor power allowed at the time (200W instead of the current 250W)
Not allowed ta the moment without DVLA approval - which has been covered a lot on the Pedalecs website over there >>>>>>>>>>

If people are wizzing around on personal e-scooters then these are not much different really

just better enforcement needed all over

OP
OP
Emanresu

Emanresu

They don't peddle and they go a lot faster than 25kph. It looks like a completely different class of bike. And there are so many of them, don't think it is an enforcement issue. Believe they are legal as that shop wouldn't be selling that many, or even advertising them in front of the shop. They are all over from Rome through to the very south of Italy.

They don't peddle and they go a lot faster than 25kph. It looks like a completely different class of bike. And there are so many of them, don't think it is an enforcement issue. Believe they are legal as that shop wouldn't be selling that many, or even advertising them in front of the shop. They are all over from Rome through to the very south of Italy.

Sorry - I meant enforcement over here - they are probably legal in that country

When we brought our ebike laws into line with the EU in 2016 then we did a half hearted job of it and only brought in a couple of bits - thus confusing the whole issue in many ways and making it easy to import ebikes that are illegal here but legal in a nearby country

classic33

Leg End Member
Sorry - I meant enforcement over here - they are probably legal in that country

When we brought our ebike laws into line with the EU in 2016 then we did a half hearted job of it and only brought in a couple of bits - thus confusing the whole issue in many ways and making it easy to import ebikes that are illegal here but legal in a nearby country
The current regulations were standardised across the EU when they came into force, across the EU.
Simple things such as motor size and assist speed were made the same. In theory making it easier to take your e-assist bike to mainland Europe.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
That's a no then but can't help wondering when they'll be here. Their presence has mushroomed since my last visit in 2019.
If by here you mean the UK, I've seen food delivery riders on those bikes here in Glasgow.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Look like Bunga Bunga bikes to me. I think I can even read 'Ruby the heart stealer' on the second one.
I believe @Drago had expressed a desire to ride one of them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom