Legal Lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
the only thing that "might" get you is in the event of an accident that the other sides sharks , sorry Legal team, may try contributory negligence if the lights are NOT UK legal.
For that to work, they'd have to convince a court why the negligence contributed, which I think would mean showing that the lights were emitting less than 4 candela (possibly the lack of side visibility of most crap lights would contribute) or were dazzling someone involved in the incident and so helped cause part of it.

Not being antisocial is a much stronger reason than fear of fines or liability... but I'm sure we all realise that some cyclists are antisocial nobbers.

Roxy641

there are lots of really good lights available now, to stay legal in the dark is a nightmare far as i know you even need reflectors on your pedals not many road bikes have them, my advice would be buy a reasonable quality set and an extra light for the back you can see if your front light falls off or stops working but your back light not so and its the most important in my view.
http://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-library/regulations/lighting-regulations

Thanks David,

that was very useful information. :bicycle:

keithmac

Guru
Just checked my Gtech and it has pedal reflectors, it has a reflective band around the tyre sidewalls in lue of spoke fitted reflectors.

subaqua

What’s the point
For that to work, they'd have to convince a court why the negligence contributed, which I think would mean showing that the lights were emitting less than 4 candela (possibly the lack of side visibility of most crap lights would contribute) or were dazzling someone involved in the incident and so helped cause part of it.

Not being antisocial is a much stronger reason than fear of fines or liability... but I'm sure we all realise that some cyclists are antisocial nobbers.

don't disagree but CTC or cycling uk whatever they are this year say the same in their guidance about contributory negligence. They might have a better legal opinion than me or you !

OP
OP
S

sotkayak

Veteran
Both the sites I linked above give the German StVZO rating for their products (though not all on the Rose Bikes link specified StVZO)
My apologies ,Freiston. I missed your post scrolling past the ''smoking digression'' ! Had a look at the Rose link . Some of the lights state conforms to German standards(one ,said -conforms to German Standard for all bikes when used with re chargeable batteries ,to bikes under 11kg when used with normal batteries -most strange)
The British high street retailers don't seem to state conforms to Road regs on any of their sites........... so I reckon I''ll go with Northern Dave et al and (from my previous post ''.So basically ,as long as the lights front and rear shine ,are visible and don't dazzle oncomers ....it should be ok ''
Will get another fixed light ,though.

freiston

Veteran
Some of the lights state conforms to German standards(one ,said -conforms to German Standard for all bikes when used with re chargeable batteries ,to bikes under 11kg when used with normal batteries -most strange)
The German regulations required all bikes to have dynamo lights but the concession was made for 'racing' lightweight bikes to have battery lights instead - and so the 11kg rule for battery lights - but since then there has been another concession allowing all bikes to use battery lights irrespective of weight. I'm puzzled as to why lightweight bikes only are restricted to non-rechargeable batteries but it does bring to mind that rechargeable batteries would not conform to the old BS (not sure which one or if it still stands) on account of the sudden drop off of power before recharging was required.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
My apologies ,Freiston. I missed your post scrolling past the ''smoking digression'' ! Had a look at the Rose link . Some of the lights state conforms to German standards(one ,said -conforms to German Standard for all bikes when used with re chargeable batteries ,to bikes under 11kg when used with normal batteries -most strange)
The British high street retailers don't seem to state conforms to Road regs on any of their sites........... so I reckon I''ll go with Northern Dave et al and (from my previous post ''.So basically ,as long as the lights front and rear shine ,are visible and don't dazzle oncomers ....it should be ok ''
Will get another fixed light ,though.
^^this
White light at front(be it flashy or not), red light at back(flashy etc...), both clearly visible = legal. There are no limits regaring lumens/candle power/hamster on treadmill power; just make sure you are visible and the right colour, depending on orientation....oohh...hang on a mo...pedal reflectors...legal requirement.....
miscellaneous-worms-can-tin-opening_a_can_of_worms-opening-jfa2492_low.jpg

3narf

For whom the bell dings
^^^^^ This. If you get arrested for illegal bicycle lights, go buy a lottery ticket as soon as you're released.

Trust me, we're in a golden age of cycling illumination at the moment. I can remember paying £25 for a set of state of the art krypton bulbed lights back in the early 90's that each took 2 D cell batteries (which would last a couple of weeks at most when used on the commute) and where the front light would barely cast a dim glow on the road more than 3 or 4 feet in front of the bike. Look at what you can get for an equivalent amount of money now.

:laugh: I agree! Like kids clothes, it's amazing what you can get for the money nowadays.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
White light at front(be it flashy or not), red light at back(flashy etc...), both clearly visible = legal. There are no limits regaring lumens/candle power/hamster on treadmill power; just make sure you are visible and the right colour, depending on orientation....
No, it's still not legal, but it's enough to make it very unlikely to attract any police attention unless you're dazzling oncoming traffic (and maybe not even then). If you want to ride around with crap lights, knock yourself out!

Top Bottom