Legal Lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
ex 40 a day, bet that burnt a big hole in your pocket never mind your thumb.
£6000 a year at current prices, 7years off them

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
You'd be as likely to get arrested for illegal lighting as I am to become an astronaut.

As long as it's white light to the front and red to rear I don't see many issues occuring.

^^^^^ This. If you get arrested for illegal bicycle lights, go buy a lottery ticket as soon as you're released.

Devils Advocate here... What if an accident occurs and a legal person says in court "Well, the lights were not legal, so my client should go free as he/she could not possibly have been expected to have seen the cyclist in the dark..."

How would the driver, or his legal representative, know what lights were fitted to the bike at the time? As long as the bike had switched on working lights, you'd be fine. The only theoretical argument might be if the driver claimed that they were blinded by the light (copyright Bruce Springsteen) at which point they could hardly say that they hadn't seen you. :okay:

Most "illegal lights" exceed the requirements of RVLR and hence the argument would be laughed out of cour
I was stopped a couple of years ago because "the Inspector wanted a word"
Turns out that he was impressed by my lights and wanted details
Explained about the "legality" and having a set of BS lights, and these were a backup.
He stated that he would not expect anyone to be picked up for these lights, and has now fitted them on to his commuting bike!

This is about the total interest of the police in any lights on your bike - as long as they're on and show your position on the road, they really won't be bothered.

FWIW, you'd have to go a long way to beat the LED rear lights from Poundland in terms of illumination, whether they have a tiny Kitemark on the back or not. http://www.poundland.co.uk/leisure-...t/car-and-bike/my-cycle-5-led-back-bike-light

Trust me, we're in a golden age of cycling illumination at the moment. I can remember paying £25 for a set of state of the art krypton bulbed lights back in the early 90's that each took 2 D cell batteries (which would last a couple of weeks at most when used on the commute) and where the front light would barely cast a dim glow on the road more than 3 or 4 feet in front of the bike. Look at what you can get for an equivalent amount of money now.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If you get arrested for illegal bicycle lights, go buy a lottery ticket as soon as you're released.
Especially as it's (theoretically) a £50 fixed penalty notice offence these days, isn't it?

IMO the reason to use legal lights that light the road well rather than the sky isn't to avoid police attention - it's to avoid being the sort of anti-social nobber dazzling oncoming road users.

Steer clear of the stupidly bright Chinese lights on ebay and you will be fine.

Apart from being too fierce, most don't throw a beam pattern designed for road use.

My Lezyne lights have proved reliable, so I like them.

But there are other brands as mentioned in the thread which perform equally well.
Got a cheap wide angle lens and a swivel mount so its pointed with the beam cut off towards the centre of the road and angled toward the left kerb.

freiston

Veteran
Could members recommend legal (Conforming to British Standards) front and rear lights and suppliers (preferably not too dear ! ) .I have trawled through old posts and found this very useful guide line ,but references to specific makes and shops (or online suppliers) seem sparse .

http://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-library/regulations/lighting-regulations#

For urban cycling, any StVZO approved lighting should suffice - you don't need to go super-bright like you would for out of town unlit roads. I understand that the German StVZO standard is regarded as legal in the UK on account of being an EC country approval that gives as much safety as BS6102/3. The StVZO standard provides for front lights that put the illumination where you need it and not into the eyes of other road users.

Busch+Müller (aka 'B+M') do front and rear sets that can be had for about £30 on ebay.
Rose Bikes of Germany (I ordered my dynamo lights from them) have a few sets too, starting at about £20 (P&P is extra)

OP
OP
S

sotkayak

Veteran
Thanks for all the feedback,guys...(More confused than ever ^_^ ).........So basically ,as long as the lights front and rear shine ,are visible and don't dazzle oncomers ....it should be ok. Which is just as well ,since none of the sites I looked at gave the Brit or any other standard specs.....

subaqua

What’s the point
You'd be as likely to get arrested for illegal lighting as I am to become an astronaut.

As long as it's white light to the front and red to rear I don't see many issues occuring.

the only thing that "might" get you is in the event of an accident that the other sides sharks , sorry Legal team, may try contributory negligence if the lights are NOT UK legal.

Me I have Busch and Muller dynamo lights. K marked so meets a higher spec than the BS stuff.

U

User33236

Over winter I use a 'cheap Chines' CREE LED light that, oou of the box, throws off a stupidly wide dazzling beam.

I researched before buying and would a 'cheap Chinese ' replacement lens that, with the light placed on a slight down angle, makes the light emulate the likes of a motorcycle headlight.

Over winter I use a 'cheap Chines' CREE LED light that, oou of the box, throws off a stupidly wide dazzling beam.

I researched before buying and would a 'cheap Chinese ' replacement lens that, with the light placed on a slight down angle, makes the light emulate the likes of a motorcycle headlight.
This is similar to what I use (£3) on my Cree T6 which is coming up on its third winter season.

Top Bottom