legalites of previous house ocupants...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buggi

Bird Saviour
bailiffs are not allowed to enter your property and seize goods illegally. that is, if you don't let them in, they can't come in by law as that is illegal (unless they are there to repossess the house itself). so if you do unfortunately get them round speak to them through the letter box and tell them to sexually relocate themselves.

Just thought you'd like to know for future reference.

send the letter back with a covering note telling them they have new tenants which they should actually already know about because no doubt they have it on record that you are the person to send the council tax bill too!

col

Legendary Member
When we were first married,and rented our first place,there was a knock at the door,you know the sort,rat a tat tat tat,as if its someone you know,when i looked out of the window,it was a policeman,and as soon as i looked,another shot off round the back.I asked him and his mate in,it turns out the previous tennant was wanted,and didnt know they had moved,but when i told them we had been in only a week,and gave them my name,they apologised and went.Just goes to show how many actually bother to check these things,before taking action doesnt it?

Arch

Married to Night Train
col said:
When we were first married,and rented our first place,there was a knock at the door,you know the sort,rat a tat tat tat,as if its someone you know,when i looked out of the window,it was a policeman,and as soon as i looked,another shot off round the back.I asked him and his mate in,it turns out the previous tennant was wanted,and didnt know they had moved,but when i told them we had been in only a week,and gave them my name,they apologised and went.Just goes to show how many actually bother to check these things,before taking action doesnt it?

You think crims send the police a change of address card when they move? How would the police know, if someone moved on and not yet notified anyone?

col

Legendary Member
Arch said:
You think crims send the police a change of address card when they move? How would the police know, if someone moved on and not yet notified anyone?

Your right,but given that they called off the cuff,they could have checked with the landlord if the tennant was the same.or a new one?Seeing as they seemed ready to arrest on contact.

U

User482

buggi said:
bailiffs are not allowed to enter your property and seize goods illegally. that is, if you don't let them in, they can't come in by law as that is illegal (unless they are there to repossess the house itself). so if you do unfortunately get them round speak to them through the letter box and tell them to sexually relocate themselves.

I think they can enter if they're court-appointed bailiffs though.

Zoiders

No police needed

A Court baliff has arrest powers

A private collection company may enter if they have a court order, private agents are not the same as court baliffs though, you can refuse to let them in, then they will have to call the police as they may not use force against you to enter if you refuse to let them in

Thats why they normally break in when you are out, then they just resecure the property when they are done, easier all round, less chance of violence

Top Bottom