Lego...50th anniversary.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We have loads - Lego duplo - loads from me, my brother and my son/daughters own

Pete

Loathed the stuff. I was of the meccano age anyway (also had something called bayko - house-building kit, quite realistic - few people will remember it). Most of junior's lego probably ended up in the hoover, anyway...

Dave5N

Über Member
Lego's much more technical now. My lad has spent a very happy 10 days putting together a police station - complete with prisoners, coffee makers, watercoolers etc etc.

When I was a kid we just had a box of bricks.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Dave5N said:
When I was a kid we just had a box of bricks.

Them was the good old days. If you didn't have just the right bit, you had to improvise. And you always had just one of a certain bit less than you needed...

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Pete said:
Loathed the stuff. I was of the meccano age anyway (also had something called bayko - house-building kit, quite realistic - few people will remember it). Most of junior's lego probably ended up in the hoover, anyway...

I remember Bayko well; more realistic than Lego but not as versatile. Meccano stopped production of Bayko in the mid 60s and tried to introduce 'Cliki' as an alternative to Lego but was not popular.

Pete

I remember seeing a Lego lookalike and noticing that the blocks did not 'click' together nearly so well. You've got to give Lego the credit, the consistency and quality of their products is excellent and the 'bricks' usually snap together firmly without falling apart.

Bayko, for those not familiar, consisted of a set of metal rods set vertically in a perforated base board, then you 'threaded' the plastic blocks down the gap between two adjacent rods. There were also tie-bars to reinforce the structure at intervals. It created fairly realistic 'houses', but had this flaw, as an educational toy: each block had to be vertically above the one in the next course down. Hence, it did not teach you how to offset your courses as in real bricklaying, e.g. stretcher bonds. Standard Lego blocks allow you to do just that.

simoncc

As an adult Lego buyer I was a bit disappointed to see so many set specific pieces being introduced. It seemed to be getting away from the basic bricks that could be used to build anything to an Airfix type approach where all the bricks built a particular model such as a desert island, a castle or a garage for racing cars. The number of multi-functional bricks in a set was reduced and replaced with palm trees, battlements etc. Lego always gets mixed up in one big box anyway, not kept in the set it came with.

Pete

simoncc said:
As an adult Lego buyer I was a bit disappointed to see so many set specific pieces being introduced. It seemed to be getting away from the basic bricks that could be used to build anything to an Airfix type approach where all the bricks built a particular model such as a desert island, a castle or a garage for racing cars. The number of multi-functional bricks in a set was reduced and replaced with palm trees, battlements etc. Lego always gets mixed up in one big box anyway, not kept in the set it came with.
Agreed. That's exactly what I thought, when our son was in the 'lego' phase and ad hoc kits to build a specific toy and no other, were all the rage. What happened to initiative, inventiveness, creativity? Not so in my 'Meccano' days - I vividly recall watching the first ever Doctor Who series in 1963 - and within a few days I had whipped out the Meccano and put together my very own Dalek. From memory. And it worked! (Well, I put the motor inside and it trundled along fine. It didn't ex-ter-mi-nate anything! ;)) And it wasn't in the instruction book!

Arch

Married to Night Train
;)
simoncc said:

Stop it simon, you know how much I begrudge agreeing with you;)

Yeah, ours got all jumbled up, but the paper leaflets that came with the various kits were kept in the box, so you could still recreate things, but also build from your own imagination. I remember the models we had (apart from the basic box) included some household furniture (dining table and chair set, all in blue bricks and tiles), milkfloat (with articulated trailer), a piano, and a train - that one had the most specific bits, although it also had many 'normal ones'. Oh, we had a ship too - that had a three piece hull which was never watertight. It floated much like that ferry currently off Blackpool. But it came with some clear curved pieces for the bridge windows, which were great for lighthouses.

domtyler

Über Member
TheDoctor said:
Is that what the bricky Google logo is about then?
Great stuff. Used to have some when I was young, but never enough. If you can't make it with lego and / or meccano it's really not worth doing:biggrin:

Er, well you can't make girls out of Lego or Mechano and some of them are worth... etc. :biggrin:

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

Anyone remember sticklebricks......bits of plastic with the sticky out pins that locked into one another.
They were good fun too. :biggrin:

Top Bottom