leipzig: what's are the roads like

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jim_Noir

Going to leipzig in June and would like to at least get a little cycle around. The hotel does cycle hire, so that's all good. Anyone live there or toured around the city?

aberal

Guru
I've been in Leipzig though not cycling. It was about 5 years ago, so assuming that the roads haven't changed, then in the centre of the town it's all a bit like the 1950's. Shop frontages didn't change very much from that time and neither did anything else. It was strangely traffic free compared to what you would get in a similar sized city here. So I wouldn't have any worries about going cycling.

delport

plenty of rebuilding always going on in the east, i think i missed Leipzig but travelled about the east back in 2003 [magdeburg and dresden were two places i walked through] the roads were laid out for tank parades by the looks of it.
I was also in Germany just before the world cup was held there.

I was quite amazed when i went first to the east as it looked completely different to everywhere else that i had seen in europe.There are only a few countries left that i've yet to see in europe.

If it hasn't changed at all i would count that as a bonus myself, it more than likely has been renovated "modernised" throughout.

See here, just something i found on the web
http://710929.com/?tag=nikolaikirche
seems they have been renovating the place, i prefer the old style myself to towns and cities it keeps the character in place.

"For the fourth time in as many years I’ve visited Leipzig in the former East Germany. Games Convention, the largest gaming trade show in Europe is held here. You see, Leipzig is an old exhibition town. It’s also the place where Porsche and BMW have moved their factories in an effort to bring new economy and jobs to the former grey part of the country. And it’s working. Leipzig has changed dramatically over the past four years. When I first visited in 2001 the streets were dark and the only people lurking around in the evening were either Goth or skin heads. Not a very pleasant place in other words."

Top Bottom