LEJOG 10 day route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sonic75

OK Big Tam, here goes: Day 1 LE to Okehampton. Day 2 to Bristol. Day 3 to Ludlow. Day 4 to Chorley. Day 5 to Carlisle. Day 6 to Edinburgh. Day 7 to Newtonmore. Day 8 to Rogart. Day 9 to JoG.
We stayed mostly in Travelodges (days 1 to 6) Day 7 in Alvey House B&B (awesome place). Day 8 at Rogart Station (great venue). Most of the travelodges were very cheap, Alvey House £32 with the biggest breakfast ever!!!!! & Rogart Station was £14 to sleep on a train!:thumbsup:.So it was a cheap event for us. We rode on a lot of A-roads (not a problem in my eyes), you can munch the miles that way and we still saw a lot of great sights
If you need any more info just ask, Tony

What about keeping your bikes overnight in the Travelodges? is it possible to keep them safe?

What about keeping your bikes overnight in the Travelodges? is it possible to keep them safe?
In my experience you can take your bike into your room overnight.

lonewalker

Just on with planning route for May doing it in 9 days.. mintonbina if your still on from 2012 I would love your route if you could email it to me my plan was day 1 okehamton
Day 2 Bristol
Day 3 Shrewsbury
Day 4 Lancaster
Day 5 moffet
Day 6 Loch Lomond
Day 7 fort William
Day 8 Lairg
Day 9 john'o grouts
Or anyone else with any info you think I will need for this route please let me know

Ajax Bay

Guru
September 2015 actual (9 days (keeping one spare)):

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/8592623

Stick N in Cornwall (Newquay, then Padstow-Rock ferry), high (N) line through Devon/Somerset, Severn Bridge, Shrewsbury, Widnes-Runcorn bridge, Lune Valley (E of Lakes), NW from Dumfries, ferries to and off Arran, up Kintyre, ferry to Mull (from Oban), across Loch Linnhe (Corran), Great Glen then N (Beauly, Dingwall, Lairg, Bettyhill) and E to JoG. After the finish, to the Orkneys for some afters, and finally Kirkwall back to Aberdeen by ferry. Recover by air from Dyce (with bike packed up and boxed in Aberdeen, and taken as hold baggage)!

My route stayed off all English trunk roads (except where ‘bottlenecks’ force me onto them) and avoids A roads. At the other end of the highway scale I sought to avoid narrow roads – the one that are shown as narrow yellow on the OS 1:50,000 maps. Some of those lanes are lovely but many are of a width that means that you cannot be sure that you will be able to cycle past a car coming the other way: this increases the need for caution and thus reduces speed (which is important at 110 miles a day). Where there is a decent National Cycle network (NCN) route I follow it but not if it starts wiggling. In particular I enjoyed the blast along the Strawberry Line route from Axbridge (Somerset) to Yatton and then continued along NCN26 to cross the Avon Bridge and NCN4 to get to and across the (first) Severn Bridge to Chepstow.

Itinerary: Nine Day (km)
1(12th) Land's End > Hatherleigh(Northlew) 178
2(13th) Hatherleigh(N'lew) > Bristol (Hallen) 174/352
3(14th) Bristol (Hallen) > Shrewsbury 168/520
4(15th) Shrewsbury > Lancaster (Halton) 184/704
5(16th) Lancaster (Halton) > Sanquar 216/920
6(17th) Sanquar > Craobh Haven 191(less 31 ferries)/1080
7(18th) Craobh Haven > South Laggan 165(less 21 ferries)/1224
8(19th) South Laggan > Crask Inn 163/1397
9(20th) Crask Inn > JOG 145/1542 (+30 on Orkney)
TOTAL 1542

Ferries: Padstow-Rock, Ardrossan-Brodick (on Arran), Lochranza-Claonaig, Oban-Craignure (Mull), Fishnish-Lochaline, Corran ferry (and then directly from JoG, across to Orkney (Burwick) and then Kirkwall-Aberdeen overnight.

Last edited:

lonewalker

didn't know Lancaster was a LEJOG regular stop over, makes sense though I though most went inland.
Can stay at mine by the way if passing...maybe.
That's great thanks for offer but 3 of us all together with driver but if your local could always meet up and have a ride out with us

Ajax Bay

Guru
Just on with planning route for May doing it in 9 days

Have you set a start date @lonewalker - in May? Some friends are starting on the 12th on a 9 day schedule. If you want to share your draft route I'll happily have a look and offer comment. Looks as if your first 4 and a half days and the last 3 are similar to mine, with similar stop points.

lonewalker

Yep we start on the 5th for 9 days that's a shame . I will take you up on that as I'm finding it hard sorting out my route as I want keep it simple as possible but still be able to have nice roads to ride on thinking of just coping someone else ride save all the stress

Tizme

Veteran
My blog/route is at http://jogle4gocommando.wordpress.com/ the CTC Forum discussion on my route is at: http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=62359
I really enjoyed it, the route may seem like a bit of a dog leg down south, but I originate from North Devon so we wanted to go that way as several people had been fundraising for us and it gave us the chance to say "thank you" to them enroute.
Hopefully I will be retiring in 18 months and I want to do a LEJOGLE unsupported taking about 25 days, camping and hostelling on a 2camping to 1 hostel routine, I'd like to incorporate the Highlands 500 route into it, if it is not going to be too ambitious.

Top Bottom