LEJOG 2017. 1st day route advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have permission to ride a 10 day LEJOG next year, so about 100 miles/day. Will be on my audax bike with a triple and staying in Travelodges or similiar. Have some ideas of route from Bristol to Scotland but no idea about LE to Bristol. I've seen routes along both coasts, inland and some that mix two or more approaches. FIrst day will be hilly so I don't mind only doing 85 miles. What suggestions can anyone provide to this northerner? Ta'/

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
If you want a reasonably quick but not too main-roadish route: Penance, Hayle, follow the old road through Camborne, Scorrier, Blackwater. A3074, then jig across to St Columb Major and join the A39. After Camelford take the A395 then left through Egloskerry to Launceston. Follow signs for A388 for Liftondown and Lifton. Follow minor road all the way to near Okehampton. You can either take the A30 for a short way and turn off to Okehampton, or there's a more long-winded way to avoid the main road. Then follow the old A30 through the town, Sticklepath, Whidden Down, Tedburn St Mary, etc., into Exeter. B3181 out of the city takes you through Cullompton to the A38. The simple way, not too busy except around Taunton, Bridgwater, is to follow it to Bristol. Otherwise, there are routes via the Levels and a nice entry into Bristol over the Clifton Bridge.

Ajax Bay

Guru
My Day 1 LE to Hatherleigh
My Day 2 Hatherleigh to Bristol
Adaption of yesterday (6 May)'s ride LE to Exeter

The last ride followed @Ian H 's Kernow and SW 600 Audax route from Penzance to Davidstow (missing out Newquay), [Edit] in fact the route that @Ian H has described - to Exeter - is exactly what I rode yesterday (except starting at Penzance and going on to home): LE, Penzance, Hayle, Scorrier, Goonhavern, St Newlyn E, White Cross, St Columb M, A39, (over) Wadebridge, Delabole, Hallworthy, Egloskerry, Launceston, (old A30 to short of) Okehampton, Granite Way, old A30 to Exeter.
@Ian H - hope you had a decent set of starters for Old Roads this morning

Last edited:
Top Bottom