LEJOG and the 5 Capitals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Work, money and time permitting, I'm in the early stages of thinking about having a go at a LEJOG and afterwards cyling from Edinburgh, London, Cardiff, Dublin, Belfast and Edinburgh again.

Has anyone done the 5 capitals, or would know if a clockwise route is better than an anti-clockwise one?

At this stage I'm thinking of attempting it in mid/late autumn.

Brains

Legendary Member
If I had that much time and money, I'd do the LEJoG and then contine around the north sea route to Norway, Denmark, Holland, France and home.

A far nicer route than the UK

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Never done anything like it, Dayvo...nor seen anything similar online, but it sounds fun. I'd probably go abroad though as well instead of spending all the time in the UK....better cheese abroad :biggrin:

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Stilton, I grant you. Wensleydale, probably. But not a patch on camembert, french goats cheese, chaumes, emmenthal, gouda, edam.....the list goes on and on and on....

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Cathryn said:
Stilton, I grant you. Wensleydale, probably. But not a patch on camembert, french goats cheese, chaumes, emmenthal, gouda, edam.....the list goes on and on and on....

You're joshing me! Camembert, gouda, edam? You're not suggesting that any of them can hold a candle to sage derby, caerphilly, buxton blue, chevvington, applewood or a stinking bishop? Get thee to a cheesery!

Tony

mr_hippo said:
Why stop at the 5 capitals - do the six!
Indeed. Why ignore the Manx?

Hey, I have lived in France for 10 years and they only think french and Dutch cheeses are worth selling. Well I can you you that Britain makes better quality cheeses than France. France just has more varieties. The five capitals sounds like a great idea. Couldn't you do LEJOG and the 5 capitals together? LE to Cardiff, across Wales, Ferry to Ireland, cycle to Dublin then to Belfast, cycle to the port across to Merseyside, cycle to JOG, down to Edinburgh and finish in London.

BruceF

Regular
Being a New Yorker, my taste in cheeses would probably be considered a bit underdeveloped (if not Paleolithic) from the European perspective. My world is one of different cheddars, some awful chili pepper-infested Mexican tortures and those multitudinous cement-like middle-earth Wisconsin things. Thus, when I read your light-hearted banter and debating about cheeses I've hardly (if ever) heard of before, it makes me smile because I'm picturing John Cleese, Eric Idle, Michael Palin and the rest of the old Monty Python gang doing some kind of a cheese shop argument skit about 40 years ago.

But---to the point... I'm a 2014 JOGLE wannabe. I've never heard of the "5 capitals" before but from what I read above, they include Dublin, Belfast, Edinburgh, London and Cardiff. Please let me know if I've gotten that much right and what the "6th capital" is -- if that wasn't a joke that was lost on me. My hope is to do an overextended JOGLE with a lot of the North Sea route included in the Scotland leg and the CTC built into the mid-section of the trek. Now I'm starting to try to figure out how to build the 5 capitals into this thing as well. Any and all help, advice and info source leads would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help...

snorri

Legendary Member
Dublin, Belfast, Edinburgh, London and Cardiff. Please let me know if I've gotten that much right and what the "6th capital" is -- if that wasn't a joke that was lost on me. Thanks in advance for any help...

I would advise against geting tied in knots with political boundaries and just visit the places you want to visit:thumbsup:

Top Bottom