LEJOG, Camp or b&b?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

samid

Veteran
I would put it this way, if you need to ask - go for B&Bs, as by far the main advantage of camping is enjoying the process, IMHO.

Bodhbh

Guru
I haven't darkened the door of a Youth Hostel in 20-something years. "Variable" is one of those adjectives that invite too many further questions.

The YHA ones are generally pretty good. In fact if anything they seem to be chasing families on weekend breaks and pricing backpackers out the market.

It's personal preference at the end of the day, but I wouldn't consider doing it without the camping gear. Just seems to be too much of a logistical headache to line up a bunch of B&Bs for the night or worrying about not finding anywhere. With your tent you know if the worst comes to the worse you are sorted and can wild camp if you have to. You can always treat yourself to a night in a B&B when moral is flagging anyhow.

wintonbina

Über Member
iv found my first 3 b&bs in lands end, okehamton and bath. gave up looking in ludlow as i cant find a b&b cheeper than £60. wee tweek to my route needed but stil early days.
Travelodge in Ludlow price varies depending on what time/deals are on!
Good luck, we did it in 9 days last year and used travelodges most of the way. (Better to have a cold bath & comfortable beds my friend!).
Tony

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It's personal preference at the end of the day, but I wouldn't consider doing it without the camping gear. Just seems to be too much of a logistical headache to line up a bunch of B&Bs for the night or worrying about not finding anywhere. With your tent you know if the worst comes to the worse you are sorted and can wild camp if you have to. You can always treat yourself to a night in a B&B when moral is flagging anyhow.

The first long tour we did (3 weeks, place to place) took about a month, off and on, evenings only, to plan and book hotels/B&Bs. We did it completely online. Because we were riding across rural France on a tandem and with a fear of hills, the route and the accommodation had to be decided on together.

The second long tour we did (1 week, place to place) took precisely two hours to book accommodation for. Someone else had very kindly provided a list of stopping points, hotels and B&Bs. Without the list of hotels and B&Bs but with a list of stopping points it would have taken about two evenings.

I think what I'm saying is that finding a route is actually more difficult than finding accommodation.

I love B&Bs - generally, haven't used them cycling. But one of the great pleasures of cycling is meeting the locals, and finding out a little of how the live. Staying in their spare bedroom is a good way to learn that.

Visiting Ireland 10 years ago we spent a night at a pretty down-at-heel B&B. But the hostess was wonderful, telling us about the American tourists who knock on their door late at night, dripping wet and carrying tents and looking for a room; or that potcheen can cure any illness in humans or in animals - but not the stuff you can buy in the shops; or the weird goat festivals she attended as a girl, which have been revived as gap year drinking fests in recent years. All the other places we stayed in that trip gave us similar insight into their lives and their history.

Hotels aren't the same, but good for city trips.

hoopdriver

Guru
Panniers and tents liberate you from the need to find/book accommodate and confers a greater degree of flexibility should you find that you are faster/slower on a given day. The beauty of having a tent, rack and panniers is that you have them for future camping rides and their cost does not make a LEJOG more expensive unless you are doing the ride in just a few days.

As for weight, there's not a lot of difference made by the extra weight of camping gear especially if you are travelling at tourist pace and not Tour de France pace.

Travel Lodges are fine if you hit upon their lowest prices...
Beg to differ on the notion that camping gear does nit make a lot of difference - even the lightest tent/sleeping bag/mat combination will add 5kgs which is a fair bit in my book. I have done a great deal of touring, both camping and B&B style, including LEJOG and for a nine day trip like what you are describing travelling light and settling nto a B&B each night will be far more enjoyable. You will be doing some big days.

Top Bottom