LEJOG, Camp or b&b?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

royalboa

Hi all,

Well iv started planning my cycle from lands end to john o'groats for june next year, im new to cycling and only just bought my first bike last week.
Im curently cycling about 15 miles a day and looking to up that in the next two weeks.

Im looking for advice from people that have done the tour before on weather to camp or go b&b.

Camp and save money? or b&b and have a phone charger every night, plus travel light?

im planing for 9 days with stops in okehamton, bath, ludlow, haydock, carlisle, glasgow, fortwilliam, kyle of sutherland then finaly john o'groats.

thanks, gibby

squiddley

Hi,i'm also doing the LEJOG next year,i bought a book off Amazon,End To End cycle route by Nick Mitchell,got some good stuff in it so that should give you some ideas.^_^

OP
OP
royalboa

royalboa

think thats the same book i downloaded, have you done any long cycles before?

Im a runner and was going to do a few marathons next year until my mate came up with the idea of cycling across britain. not one to turn down a challange i went and bought a bike started looking into it posted the event on facebook with sponsor details for him to then pull out lol.

squiddley

No I haven't,just trying to get as much miles in as i can,planning on doing it end of May/June time,as it will be long days,will probably be doing Youth Hostels and b&b,fancy a nice bed at the end of the day,although camping would be ok but not on this occasion.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Hi all,

Well iv started planning my cycle from lands end to john o'groats for june next year, im new to cycling and only just bought my first bike last week.
Im curently cycling about 15 miles a day and looking to up that in the next two weeks.

Im looking for advice from people that have done the tour before on weather to camp or go b&b.

Camp and save money? or b&b and have a phone charger every night, plus travel light?

im planing for 9 days with stops in okehamton, bath, ludlow, haydock, carlisle, glasgow, fortwilliam, kyle of sutherland then finaly john o'groats.

thanks, gibby
there's a whole bunch of threads on LeJoG on the CTC forum that bear a bit of examination

nine days sounds like you're going to be moving on at quite a lick - 100 miles a day. If you can afford to B+B then go for it - it costs more, but you'll be out of the rain, you'll save weight, and, crucially, you'll save a lot of time. You might get lucky with Youth Hostels (some of which are now privately run) and you might find a bunkhouse in Scotland if funds are restricted.

OP
OP
royalboa

royalboa

iv found my first 3 b&bs in lands end, okehamton and bath. gave up looking in ludlow as i cant find a b&b cheeper than £60. wee tweek to my route needed but stil early days.

OP
OP
royalboa

royalboa

Well got my route mapped out on google maps and started looking into b&bs. Came across problems already with accommodation prices lol. Was looking at £40 tops a night but one of the towns I planned to stop in prices start at £60.

Can't wait till kids are back to school so I can get some prober training started.

Look out for Travelodge £19/night offers. Theres one in Carlisle.

TobyM

I live in Ludlow, and there is a travel lodge. I've never looked at the prices, but I shouldn't imagine they're too steep :smile: Or, there's Henwick House at £39 per night for a single.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
check out http://campinmygarden.com it's a real fun and cost effective way to tour and you get to meet real members of the community and stay in some simply stunning gardens. Some people offer breakfast, dinner and shower/bath usage as part of the deal.
If you plan it well you can usually post packages to the people you are staying with such as change of clothes, inner tubes, snacks and other things for your arrival so you do not need to carry as much stuff. When you get there post back to your home the things you are swapping over.
If your doing LeJog why not make it a real different experience rather than a ride between b&b's - who knows you may even make new friends and obtain company for part of the ride.

Holly

I have just completed LEJOG...and it was great. On the ctc website there are many different routes. There is one that goes via b&b and another that uses youth hostels. I would defiantly not go for camping as after buying panniers and tent etc it will be more expensive than b&b and a lot heavier, which is not what you want on the hills. Also travel lodges are a great option. They are cheaper than most b&b and you know what you are getting each night.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I have just completed LEJOG...and it was great. On the ctc website there are many different routes. There is one that goes via b&b and another that uses youth hostels. I would defiantly not go for camping as after buying panniers and tent etc it will be more expensive than b&b and a lot heavier, which is not what you want on the hills. Also travel lodges are a great option. They are cheaper than most b&b and you know what you are getting each night.
and you can wheel your bike in to your room!

Top Bottom