LEJOG Complete!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hmmm, probably too tight a schedule to try that one :smile:

That's the current plan, with one of my stops happening to fall along there near Glencoe. So you say that route's OK?

I was advised to get the one ferry across to Dunoon, then I'll cut across from Inverary to just north of Oban, including a stretch of the A85. Anyone got any experience of that?

Oban to Fort William does not take you via Glencoe or even Glencoe village, but north of Loch Leven it is the A82. (My childhood playground was just south of Rannoch Moor). I have cycled the section much lower than Oban (A83 & A816) which was fine when we did it 2 years ago.

To the west of Glasgow & Greenock, there is the Gourock to Dunoon ferry which will take you across and round via Holy Loch, but that route then ditches you onto the A85 which is another busy road and personally I would much prefer to cycle the A82 north of Tyndrum over Rannoch Moor than cycle the Tyndrum to Oban road which is quite narrow in sections and rather busy. We did cycle a small section of it 2 years ago, and I remember being very grateful to get off it and up into Glen Orchy. Unless major work has been done on it since I last did the section along Loch Awe A85 segment (and it is entirely possible it has been - it is a long time since I last went along Loch Awe), it was a very narrow winding route, but a quick glance at the google person thingy that shows you the actual footage of the road (apologies one of those days, I can't think what it is called) will quickly tell you what the road is like width wise

There is the Corran - Ardgour ferry which takes you up the otherside of the Loch Linnhe, but you would then need to take the ferry back across to FW if you intended to visit there or carry on North to Inverness. You would not need to recross the loch if you didn't want FW or were heading on to Mallaig for Skye, but I suspect you would want to stop at Morrisons for some supplies.

wilkie

Great achievement well done :-)

videoman

Guru
Great achievement and well done as it is someting I would love to do sometime but at present just trying to reach 20 mile rides at the moment so some way off yet!

Brandane

Legendary Member
Excellent! That video has made me want to do this. I WILL do it sometime....

OP
OP
db7db7

db7db7

Thanks very much - the trip was amazing and gets better the more i look back at it :wacko: (at the time i swore i wouldn't do another but already have itchy feet and am weighing up some possible future options). I used a basic, alloy pannier rack - which snapped on the last day 60 miles from home - thank God for shoe laces to hold it together! I used 2 x Altura panniers - dryline i think? These are the slightly cheaper ones which aren't fully water proof so i bought the suitable altura rain covers which worked a treat, were nice and bright (yellow) to make me more vosoble and meant all dirt etc went on these and not the bags. The bags worked fine though and held all i needed. I also took a small frame bag to put tools in and things i needed quickly, e.g. choccy bars & wallet.
Let me know if i can help with anything else.

CafGriff

Thanks very much - the trip was amazing and gets better the more i look back at it :wacko: (at the time i swore i wouldn't do another but already have itchy feet and am weighing up some possible future options). I used a basic, alloy pannier rack - which snapped on the last day 60 miles from home - thank God for shoe laces to hold it together! I used 2 x Altura panniers - dryline i think? These are the slightly cheaper ones which aren't fully water proof so i bought the suitable altura rain covers which worked a treat, were nice and bright (yellow) to make me more vosoble and meant all dirt etc went on these and not the bags. The bags worked fine though and held all i needed. I also took a small frame bag to put tools in and things i needed quickly, e.g. choccy bars & wallet.
Let me know if i can help with anything else.
Choccy Bars!!??
Did someone mention choccy bars!??:eek:

Top Bottom