LEJOG Complete!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CafGriff

I'm planning to do LEJoG's next April. :bicycle:
If anyone has read Ellie Bennett's 'Mud, Sweat and Gears', I'm planning to emulate the journey.
Like Ellie, I'm planning to camp, use B&B's and the pubs on route, sampling the real ales and the like. I'm gathering info / kit / training and hopefully people and friends on route for either the full route or differing session of the various stages I'll be attempting.:eek::wacko:
I have susted my work out as to time of and I'm lick to state that I can have as much - I'm sure I could have more - but initially I'm going to take if not 21 days, then 21 days to complete, this epic dream.
I plan on seeing both England and Scotland, rather than making everything ' blip past' at a far rate of knots.:heat:
I want to experience things like Tintern Abbey / Oban whiskey factory :cheers:/ I have to stay at my sister - in - laws' in Nailsea nr Bristol and my sisters' at Poulten - le - Fylde nr Blackpool/Preston. :highfive:
Over the next coming 'preparation months' I shall let those who want to know, my actual route, and as always - and like everyone else - I would be very grateful for invaluable local/experienced knowledge. :o)

I've watched the video at 6 times now, and can actually 'feel' myself doing the journey, I can almost taste it and quiet frankly I can't wait to put my bottie on the saddle and start pushing off from Lands End.:wahhey:
I've logged into 'Cyclestreet.com' ( or is it Streetcycle.com ? ) any hoo... I've provisionally punched in routes and as they advertise, they've given me 3 x routes to pick and choose from. I want to stay away from the busy A's and concentrate on the Sustran Trails / bridal pathways and quiet tracks that have been highlighted in yr vid. I do realise that enevitable use of the busy roads would have to be touched, but so be it.:boxing:

Read the book and you will more or less see my route.

More info to come Lovelies!!^_^
Best wishes from The West Country!!:sun:

OP
OP
db7db7

db7db7

Sounds a great way to do it. I have read that book, one of about 4 I read when I first had the idea and up to, and after, cometing my journey. Try and avoid kirkstone pass though that I believe they took!
As you elude, these forums will be your best friend in termsof planning and adjusing ur route - some great ppl here.
Enjoy the planning and the build up. The actual event will go soooo quickly.
Tintern is amazing especially the sweeping rd down to it. If u can afford a gps id recommend it my garmin edge 200 (£90) simy pla ur daily routes, load them up and follow (with backup map) Put the training in and take care with the planning and you'll have a great time.

theloafer

Legendary Member
If anyone has read Ellie Bennett's 'Mud, Sweat and Gears', I'm planning to emulate the journey.
Like Ellie, I'm planning to camp, use B&B's and the pubs on route, sampling the real ales and the like. I'm gathering info / kit / training and hopefully people and friends on route for either the full route or differing session of the various stages I'll be attempting.:eek::wacko:
I have susted my work out as to time of and I'm lick to state that I can have as much - I'm sure I could have more - but initially I'm going to take if not 21 days, then 21 days to complete, this epic dream.
I plan on seeing both England and Scotland, rather than making everything ' blip past' at a far rate of knots.:heat:
I want to experience things like Tintern Abbey / Oban whiskey factory :cheers:/ I have to stay at my sister - in - laws' in Nailsea nr Bristol and my sisters' at Poulten - le - Fylde nr Blackpool/Preston. :highfive:
Over the next coming 'preparation months' I shall let those who want to know, my actual route, and as always - and like everyone else - I would be very grateful for invaluable local/experienced knowledge. :o)

I've watched the video at 6 times now, and can actually 'feel' myself doing the journey, I can almost taste it and quiet frankly I can't wait to put my bottie on the saddle and start pushing off from Lands End.:wahhey:
I've logged into 'Cyclestreet.com' ( or is it Streetcycle.com ? ) any hoo... I've provisionally punched in routes and as they advertise, they've given me 3 x routes to pick and choose from. I want to stay away from the busy A's and concentrate on the Sustran Trails / bridal pathways and quiet tracks that have been highlighted in yr vid. I do realise that enevitable use of the busy roads would have to be touched, but so be it.:boxing:

h

hey cafgriff
its a stunning trip done it twice and working on my third in 2 years time (my 60th) but for a change I am planning north-south .. just get the miles in the legs and you will be fine just don't think of it as 1000 mile ride ...but as 20 days rides ^_^ the hard part is the planning and getting there +back..:laugh:

CafGriff

Sounds a great way to do it. I have read that book, one of about 4 I read when I first had the idea and up to, and after, cometing my journey. Try and avoid kirkstone pass though that I believe they took!
As you elude, these forums will be your best friend in termsof planning and adjusing ur route - some great ppl here.
Enjoy the planning and the build up. The actual event will go soooo quickly.
Tintern is amazing especially the sweeping rd down to it. If u can afford a gps id recommend it my garmin edge 200 (£90) simy pla ur daily routes, load them up and follow (with backup map) Put the training in and take care with the planning and you'll have a great time.

Bless you... advsie duely noted!!:thanks:

CafGriff

hey cafgriff
its a stunning trip done it twice and working on my third in 2 years time (my 60th) but for a change I am planning north-south .. just get the miles in the legs and you will be fine just don't think of it as 1000 mile ride ...but as 20 days rides ^_^ the hard part is the planning and getting there +back..:laugh:
Oh! Yes Babe!!
My pursuit of freedom will drive me on .. well, freedom for the 21 days or so. I plan on starting earliesh, b4 9.00am, rideing quickly for the AM seesion, have dinner see how the target is getting on and riding till 6 - 7 pmish.
I'll average @ 50 - 60 miles a day, aimimg for the 12 mhp speed ratio.
I'm cycling to and fro work, in heavy heavy traffic, approc 5 miles each way, plus I'm going to the gym, with a protein rich, strength body programme 3 x times a week, working out for 1 half hr session + i have a road Giant bike perminantly attatched to a treadmill thingie + when I am at The Gym, I start off as a warmup on the cycle machine ( with a fantastic TV screen in front of you where you can cycle on a desert scene in Utah, or Colaorado or up in the Rockys !! Without leaving Plymouth City Centre.

I am absolutely loving just my planning already!! and of course, my Sunday mornings of the aimed for 20 /25/30 miles ... before my roast across the road, at our pub. ;)

We leave home on Friday to start JOGLE (reverse LEJOG) on Sunday. I have a journal - link in the signature. Oh - and don't worry or overplan, it takes all the fun out of it.

The only other thing I would say is that you learn the correct spelling of WHISKY in Scotland... Whiskey is Irish...:wacko: (though we did enjoy our Bushmills tour when in NI as part of our attempt on a round the world tour. :laugh: (sorry I'm from scotland originally...:biggrin:)

CafGriff

We leave home on Friday to start JOGLE (reverse LEJOG) on Sunday. I have a journal - link in the signature. Oh - and don't worry or overplan, it takes all the fun out of it.

The only other thing I would say is that you learn the correct spelling of WHISKY in Scotland... Whiskey is Irish...:wacko: (though we did enjoy our Bushmills tour when in NI as part of our attempt on a round the world tour. :laugh: (sorry I'm from scotland originally...:biggrin:)
of course :B) thanks for the reminder!
i was just going to point at the bottle n say ' i 'll have that one please'?
I've just come back from a maintainence session on the other side of Plymouth from where I live. The sessions are about 2 / 3 hrs long, run on the 1st Wed of every month and U can work on your own bikes with the watchful eye of others , giving u confidence and - in my case - a much needed chain and back cog set clean and oil. And I can talk and listen ... bikes, bikes, bikes ....all night!!!!:giggle:

Onyer

Hi db7db7
Great post and thanks for the Garmin links which I am using to plan my LEJOG starting 28th September. I was a bit concerned about your day 5 which basically followed the A49. Was this OK? Not too busy with lorries thundering past? I was also impressed that you seem to keep going all day without any breaks.

Booyaa

Veteran
Excellent video fella, very impressive.

OP
OP
db7db7

db7db7

Thanks very much. Onyer, The A49 north of Whictchurch was actually fine in terms of safety and busy traffic - it was more annoying than anything in terms of constantly stopping and starting at traffic lights through the numerous city centres (especially with a loaded bike) - you should be fine, i was concerned beforehand too but it was ok, although pretty boring and not very scenic. I did stop for breaks (pausing the garmin) but not for long (30mins was probably the longest, averaging 3 or 4 of 10-15mins), preferring to get on and finish a touch earlier/pedal a little easier.
Best of luck and let me know if i can help with any more queries.

Jimbob312

Regular
Db7db7
Nice one mate.
I am a mountain biker at heart but want to do LEJOG.
What percentage of your route was off road do you reckon?
Many thanks,
Jim

OP
OP
db7db7

db7db7

cheers, not much - parts in Cornwall then a few canal paths near Somerset and then not until Scotland, just North of Glasgow.

Jimbob312

Regular
38 days! Wow, I only have 11 excluding getting there and back.
As long as I can avoid A roads and as many B roads as possible then think it will work for me.
Need to sit down and work out where good canal paths and disused railways etc are.
There is a route on travellingtwo.com haven't yet worked out yet how much of that is "off road" but with only 11 days proper off road won't work.
Have just done c2c off road and that took five days, carrying bikes over black sail pass etc. awesome trip but hard.
Thanks for any info

Top Bottom