LEJOG done 10/04/2011 - 21/04/2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lejogger

Guru
Well done Chris... fantastic achievement. Me and the pal I did it with still end up talking until last orders about all the adventures we had most weeks, and it was nearly 2 years ago!

The best advice I would give is to just enjoy it, and take the time to appreciate the view and the places that you're cycling through. We had a very tight schedule and could only manage 9 days unsupported with family and work commitments, so in a way it did feel like the dominent visual of the trip was the tarmac.

Devon/Cornwall were certainly the hilliest miles. Having said that, day 1 (LE to Okehampton) was spent solely on the A30. This probably ensured that the climbs were mainly just long drags, but it's a bloody busy road. If you want to get the miles done fast then it's not the worst day's cycling I've had, but don't expect to enjoy it.

The lake district (Shap Pike in particular) was also very tough to manage at the end of day 5. (Wirral to Penrith). My knees have never forgiven me.

hard going

Hi guys,

We completed our LEJOG last Thursday in 12 days. It was one of the best things I have ever done, an amazing experience!

I'm not not a cyclist (well maybe I am now!!) and only started training for this just after Christmas!

If anyone wants any help or tips about doing this epic challenge then please ask!

Chris

Congrats to you all that fantastic. Hope you dont mind me asking, but myself and two mates are going to attempt lejog in August being pretty new to cycling we could do with some help on how to go about iT . ie,, Like route and how many miles you did each day ,did you stop at b&b anything that might help us would be greatly appreciated.As we are no spring chickens

lejogger

Guru
Congrats to you all that fantastic. Hope you dont mind me asking, but myself and two mates are going to attempt lejog in August being pretty new to cycling we could do with some help on how to go about iT . ie,, Like route and how many miles you did each day ,did you stop at b&b anything that might help us would be greatly appreciated.As we are no spring chickens

Hope you don't mind me offering some advice - appreciate it's not my thread and I don't want to tread on toes.

Major route decision is LEJOG or JOGLE. In the summer months there's a greater chance of a prevailing wind heading South to North, so we did LEJOG. It was also easier to get there in my opinion. We hired a Vauxhall Zafira, shoved the bikes and kit in the back and drove to Penzance train station where we dropped off the car and cycled to Tregiffian Farm B&B. (Superb B&B by the way). Just a short cycle from Land's End.

Some good advice may be to get to LE the night before you set off, get all the photos and book signing out of the way so that on the morning of the off you can just get started straight away. It took probably over an hour to get all that stuff done and it really ate into the day.

We did it over 9 days. In short the route was:

1 LE to Okehampton
2 Okehampton to Bristol
3 Bristol to Broseley
4 Broseley to Wirral
5 Wirral to Penrith
6 Penrith to Glasgow
7 Glasgow to Fort William
8 Fort William to Dornoch
9 Dornoch to JoG

It was hard going, but we carried tents and sleeping bags etc. I wouldn't recommend camping really. After days of 100 miles plus in the saddle you really need a nice shower and a comfy bed. We only actually camped twice and used B&Bs or Premier travel inns the rest of the time.

If you need any more specific advice then let me know.

Phil

OP
OP
C

Christkd

No worries at all Lejogger!!

Our route was over 12 days and a little strange as for the first 5 days we were relying on people we knew putting us up so it went like this -

Lands End - Launceston
Launceston - Tiverton
Tiverton - Latteridge (North Bristol)
Latteridge - Ludlow
Ludlow - Crewe
Crewe - Preston
Preston - Carlisle
Carlisle - Biggar
Biggar - Balloch (Loch Lomond)
Balloch - Spean Bridge
Spean Bridge - Tain
Tain - John O'Groats

Our total mileage was 988 so averaged 82.33 miles a day. We were supported so had no panniers and stayed at B&B's along the way (a shower and good bed was a definate must have for me!!)

Just ask if you want anymore info

Chris

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Congrats on your ride,i would love to do this but i keep getting "That stare" off Mrs Skud who thinks i am mad to want to ride so far with a tent ! I did Manchester-Cornwall last year which was an eye opener,especially those Devon and Cornish hills !

Top Bottom