LEJOG done 10/04/2011 - 21/04/2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Christkd

Hi guys,

We completed our LEJOG last Thursday in 12 days. It was one of the best things I have ever done, an amazing experience!

I'm not not a cyclist (well maybe I am now!!) and only started training for this just after Christmas!

If anyone wants any help or tips about doing this epic challenge then please ask!

Chris

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Blimey, hats off to you!

cheers.gif

corshamjim

That was good going! Well done!

I've yet to plan mine. I think I'll probably wait until my non-cycling wife takes herself off to Australia for a couple of weeks and do it on my own so long as some shorter tours I have planned for this year go ok. I'm expecting to try it at a much easier pace (over 16 or so days).

OP
OP
C

Christkd

I was bricking it in the lead up, thinking was I gonna be quick enough, was I gonna get injured and not complete it etc!!

The Secteur was brilliant, apart from one rear puncture it was trouble free!

Any tips! Well it depends on what you are looking to get from the ride. If you see it as purely a physical challenge and like one in our group was always trying to improve his average speed then I'm not the best to ask! My take on the whole thing was to complete it and enjoy it, take time to take in the amazing countryside you will be riding thru especially Scotland. If you are going with friends spend time together as the team will be stronger than ever by the end.
Any specific questions I'd be happy to try to answer!

Chris

Oh one more tip, when you are riding in amazing scenery dont do as I did and clip the back wheel of one of your mates cos you were admiring the views!!! Went over the bars and busted my shoulder! Rode the last 2 and a half days in a fair bit of pain!! :-(

OP
OP
C

Christkd

I averaged between 13 - 16mph most days without trying too hard but yeah trying to go too fast spoils it for me! I did hit 46.5 mph on the last day, down hill of course!!!

Good luck with yours, how many days are you doing it in?

Rebel Ian

As co-organiser of our LEJoG attempt that leaves on 3rd July I've banned all talk of how quickly we might ride and insisted instead that talk should be about how much cake we might eat! :biggrin:

How bad were the hills in Cornwall/Devon?!

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Congratulations mate. A truly fantastic achievement :cheers:
Hi guys,

We completed our LEJOG last Thursday in 12 days. It was one of the best things I have ever done, an amazing experience!

I'm not not a cyclist (well maybe I am now!!) and only started training for this just after Christmas!

If anyone wants any help or tips about doing this epic challenge then please ask!

Chris

Well done, hats off to you. I am planning the reverse, JogLE for next June (2012). I was hoping to have a crack this year but have talked my brother into coming and I think he needs more prep time. Living in Cornwall I think the hills here are normal. If you plan the route well, you should be able to make them long slogs rather than short killers. Does anyone have a suggested practice routine, what worked for you guys in your prep?

OP
OP
C

Christkd

As co-organiser of our LEJoG attempt that leaves on 3rd July I've banned all talk of how quickly we might ride and insisted instead that talk should be about how much cake we might eat! :biggrin:

How bad were the hills in Cornwall/Devon?!

I like your style!!!! :thumbsup:

Being that I'm not great on hills I didn't think the hills were that bad! The worst were on the Crediton to Tiverton Road, Kirkstone pass in the Lakes, the road going north out of Moffat in Scotland and there are some beasts on the A9 from Tain to JOG, some good downs as well though!

Thanks Angelfishsolo it does feel great to have achieved such a challenge that is totally different to what I normally do!!

Chris :biggrin:

Rebel Ian

I like your style!!!! :thumbsup:

Being that I'm not great on hills I didn't think the hills were that bad! The worst were on the Crediton to Tiverton Road, Kirkstone pass in the Lakes, the road going north out of Moffat in Scotland and there are some beasts on the A9 from Tain to JOG, some good downs as well though!

Thanks Angelfishsolo it does feel great to have achieved such a challenge that is totally different to what I normally do!!

Chris :biggrin:

Thanks for that, Chris. The route I've mapped shows day 2 as our killer for hills - straight across Dartmoor. I'm not good on hills either. I get up them (mostly) but do it very slowly.

Top Bottom