LEJOG How much does/could/should it cost

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
LEJOG or JOGLE can be done cheaply or with more expense. What are people's experience of the costs they incurred or for which they are budgetting?

My LEJOG (9 days, solo unsupported, 1000 miles) cost ~£800 (£700 below plus tyres, brake blocks, cleats, cables, chain - ie consumables). I have not included cycle related items ie to get the bike completely 'fit' for the trip (30) and bags to carry the (small) load (40), or spares various, or the clothing I bought (150), all of which to some measure or other have seen hundreds of miles' use since.

Travel
Rail (W London > Penzance, via Reading) 44
Air (Aberdeen > London Heathrow) 56 (with bike (boxed) included)
Bus (LHR > W London (work)) 3
Ferries
Padstow 3
Arran 7(2 ferries)
Mull 8(2 ferries)
JoG > Orkney 16
Kirkwall >Aberdeen 25

Acc'n 10 nights 270 (ave = 27)
Food
day food 65
evening meal(s) 120
Drink
High5 4:1 20
Beer 50

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
You could join an organised Tour and pay an absolute fortune.

mustang1

Guru
When I planned jogle (I prefer it the other way round), I factored about ten million. That took care of butlers, servants, massagers, the odd hotel I'd buy along the way, learjets, someone to ride my bike for me while I followed in a Team Sky coach taking a shower, TV crew, advertising, ticket promotions, couple of project managers, a blogger and so on. Even now as I dictate to my secretary what she should type on cyclechat, I have to pay her overtime coz she said she had plans to go out on Friday night. Bloody plebs want my damn money.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
When I planned jogle (I prefer it the other way round), I factored about ten million. That took care of butlers, servants, massagers, the odd hotel I'd buy along the way, learjets, someone to ride my bike for me while I followed in a Team Sky coach taking a shower, TV crew, advertising, ticket promotions, couple of project managers, a blogger and so on. Even now as I dictate to my secretary what she should type on cyclechat, I have to pay her overtime coz she said she had plans to go out on Friday night. Bloody plebs want my damn money.

Over egging the pudding a bit. :okay:

I've given up on the LEJOG / JOGLE, thing, it's become a commercial trap. It was fun 10 ( and the rest ) years ago. It sucks now.

OP
OP
Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay

Guru
it's become a commercial trap
Who's trapping what? There are a variety of 'packages' one could sign up for, if you want to do it supported either camping (but with tents put up and struck for you and meals cooked etc) or in hotels or other accommodation centrally arranged. But if you're doing it in a small group or alone under own arrangements, I can't see the 'trap'.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The only time I have done it was with a non-cycling friend sometime in the 80s. We took 11 days, stayed in youth hostels, and at the JoG hotel (now long defunct) at the finish. Friends who were holidaying in Scotland drove us home.
If I was going to do it now, it would be somewhat faster and probably staying with friends or in Travelodge-style hotels.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
It's on my retirement plan list. The plan is to buy a small motorhome, go watch the tour, then on our way back from France I'll do LEJOG, whilst Mrs S drives the motorhome. I'll have 3-4 hours cycling a day, so may take 3 or 4 weeks, factor in the motorhome costs & it will be an expensive trip ^_^

OP
OP
Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay

Guru
The Seaview Hotel is close by. The guy I ended up finishing the last 20km with was stopping there that night. He had done 1300 miles in 14 days (via Arran, Mull, Skye and Durness), camping all the way (hard!). Midges did come up in conversation.

Top Bottom