LEJOG in 7 Days For Charity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

madman2018

Hi Everyone.
Brand new member here so this is my first post :smile:
I'm a gap year student volunteering in Africa with a charity called Balloon Ventures in Spring 2018 (check them out, they're super cool)
ANYWAY
I'm fundraising £800 toward the charity, and decided to cycle the LEJOG in 7 days as part of my fundraising challenge.
I'm a pretty decent cycler, so I don't think fitness should be an issue. However, I'll be doing it unsupported/solo. Any ideas for what the best way to get it done in the fastest time is? I.E. Camping vs hostels, vs little sleep :smile: ?
I've got a bike, and a basic kit list, but I think I need more advice/prep in general.
Thanks in Advance folks.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Welcome to the forum. Don’t have any specific advice re your challenge but I’m sure others who have done it will chime in. Good luck.
Some good video on YouTube which might help you.

View: https://youtu.be/vg1HvJ4s3os

Last edited:

jay clock

Massive member
A demanding thing. That will be 140 miles a day. I would reckon camping would be to tough, but who knows!

Here is the Deloitte RAB 2017 route GPX files with a pdf for each day. You will need to upload the GPX into RWGPS https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8f582ky77jqfdt6/AADdSCxDN7cPrVxbV0uMhT3xa?dl=0

You need to fund the cost of the trip out of your own pocket, otherwise any sensible person will tell you to fark off. Don't try the "raise £2000 and use half to pay the hotel bills" trick. That is just a free holiday

Ajax Bay

Guru
I observe OP has not been back to CycleChat since his OP (22 Dec).
I'll be doing it unsupported/solo. Any ideas for what the best way to get it done in the fastest time is? I.E. Camping vs hostels, vs little sleep
If the OP is planning to do end-to-end in 7 days, why's he looking for the fastest route: surely that'd be a longer route that he would have to do faster. Simplest route is to pick up A39 at St Columb Major to Davidstow, ESE to Launceston, old A30 to Exeter (NW), old A38/A38 to Gloucester, A417 NW to (north of) Hereford, A49 to Warrington, // M6 to Preston, A6, //M74 to Hamilton, up to Stirling, A9. Enjoy (not)!
Here's a 7 day audax (7 x 200+km) Google 'Hummers Lejog': LEJOG - 7 x 200 audax
1: LE>Exeter (210), 2: Exeter>Tewkesbury(207), 3: Tewkesbury>St Helens(207), 4: St Helens>Gretna (216), 5: Gretna>Perth (215), 6: Perth>Inverness (205)(via Braemar), 7: Inverness >JoG(212)
For minimum faff, use motels with somewhere to eat close by, and get on the road for a couple of hours before a decent stop for breakfast.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
As Ajax says. As long as you're confident with distances, book your accommodation ahead, so as to keep faffing to a minimum. 7 days isn't too extreme.

sultzer

7 days good luck i did it in 11.5 days , some long days in saddle ,i did camping a lot , while in england i pitched up in laybays next to trucks etc , or if there was a rally about in a corner of the field .

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
As a gap year student maybe he should just keep studying.

" I am a decent cycler"

Top Bottom