LEJOG - on a folder!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'd just like to use this forum to tell you all about the 2 Austrailian couples I met on Arran at the weekend. The remarkable thing about them is they're doing LEJOG on Dahon folders complete with panniers etc. After speaking to them I found out that they were all in their 50s and had been on the road for 3 weeks already and were hoping to reach JOG in the next 2 weeks.
They were very impressed with the patience of the majority of British motorists:ohmy: and how friendly everyone they had met had been.

So well done to them and good luck with the rest of their tour.

However I think they must be feeling the cold as they all had on full waterproofs including gloves and neoprene overshoes!!!

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Personally, folders aren't my thing but they're pretty tough bikes!

I'm more amazed that they were impressed with British motorosts. Although I've heard bad things about Australian drivers...

Bodhbh

Guru
Is there anything fundamentally daft about touring on a folder, or it's more a question of it been just not quite the right tool for the job?

I've got an Airnimal Explorer I just started using for my first couple of small tours. It's my only bike and on some levels it was a bit of a silly purchase - boys toys... - but at the time I didn't envisage I'd want to try some cycle touring later on.

Seems okay so far for B&B touring with a couple of panniers on the back, but I've never had a proper touring bike so wouldn't know any better. Not yet tried loading it up with front panniers and camping gear, but will soon and see how ti goes.

I dunno am I making life difficult for myself and should just try out a proper touring bike?

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
There's a guy doing a Round-the-World on a Brompton, and it struck me as a very sensible choice for the job: it can come inside the porch of your tent, and if you hit a problem you can't fix, you can just hop on a bus, etc.

Ben

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Bodhbh said:
Is there anything fundamentally daft about touring on a folder, or it's more a question of it been just not quite the right tool for the job?

I've got an Airnimal Explorer I just started using for my first couple of small tours. It's my only bike and on some levels it was a bit of a silly purchase - boys toys... - but at the time I didn't envisage I'd want to try some cycle touring later on.

Seems okay so far for B&B touring with a couple of panniers on the back, but I've never had a proper touring bike so wouldn't know any better. Not yet tried loading it up with front panniers and camping gear, but will soon and see how ti goes.

I dunno am I making life difficult for myself and should just try out a proper touring bike?

There's nothing wrong with Airnimals for touring. I met a chap who was touring in France with his Airnimal - it was his second or so third tour using the bike. He seemed to be quite satisfied with its performance.

mark i

Regarding the folder for touring or a full size bike. I use one of two bikes for commuting, a bright orange brompton for bike train bike if tired or really wet, and a 15 yr old mountain bike with slicks and a rack if I am more energetic and the weather is not foul. The folders small wheels and lack of gears mean it is not as good over distance, but you can take it on transport, with you in shops etc. Full size bike is quicker, takes more load, but is bigger! Am planning a lejog for 2010, will probably be on my mountain bike for load carrying and gears!

Top Bottom