1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LEJOG record attempt - Jasmijn Muller

Discussion in 'Time Trial, Long Distance and Endurance' started by dr_pink, 1 Sep 2017.

1. srw

srw It's a bit more complicated than that...

Her schedule is here. The schedule on the tracker appears to be a crude linear projection, so it's overstating how far she is ahead of plans. And the tracking is a bit flaky, so it's underestimating distance and hence actual average speed - I reckon by about 10 - 15% if the schedule is reliable. All of which means that the 18.6mph reported average to get through and beyond Bristol is probably more like 20mph.
  2. Yeah. The tracker is currently saying 186 miles, but 20 minutes ago they tweeted they were past the 200mile make.

View: https://twitter.com/JasmijnMuller1/status/905471274587217922
  3. srw

200 miles, including rush hour Bristol, in less than 10 hours? That's astonishing.
  4. growingvegetables

growingvegetables Guru

Aye - she's got the wind behind her this bit. https://www.ventusky.com/ ? Wind looks a lot tougher once she's "round the corner" :sad:. And I sure as anything hope she's got better weather than Yorkshire just now :rain:. Go, lass, go.
  5. We all love graphs don't we?

Here's a graph of her overall speed. The dotted line is the target of 16.08mph, assuming a total distance of 848 miles in 52 hr 45 min.

THe data is well dodgy. It comes from the gpx file exported from followmychallenge. I've had to apply a bit of a fiddle factor to it as well, and I've put it together in a bit of a rush so may have made some mistakes. Really, the absolute values of the speed could be significantly off, but the trends should be OK.

As @jefmcg notes above the tracker data may well be under-reporting.

I'll do another one in the morning.
    Soltydog, raleighnut and srw like this.
  6. Technically @srw noted it, I just added some data.
  7. srw

Dogtrousers likes this.
  8. Aravis

Aravis White-Haired Trundler

A lovely evening for a ride. About 18:52, heading out of Gloucester:

This was my consolation shot, redeemed by getting the support vehicle as well, which I hadn't noticed until I got home.

I might as well show you the attempt at the dramatic action shot, for which "more practice needed" is probably the kindest thing anyone could say:

I did get a nice smile.
    Soltydog, Donger, Arjimlad and 6 others like this.
  9. srw

She's had to abandon, according to her FB page. No further details yet.
  10. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

On 3 Wheels
    That's a shame. :sad:
  11. srw

Although it sounds crass, thank goodness it was sickness. I'd assumed the worst and that she'd been injured in a crash. Choosing to stop such a long way short is a very impressive piece of self-knowledge and self-control. I'm sure she'll be back.
  12. Arjimlad

Arjimlad Tights of Cydonia

South Glos
    She was going very strong just north of Bristol last night, looked & sounded fresh as a daisy. Such a shame she's had to bail out but to go that far in that time was amazing.
    Aravis likes this.
  13. I thought 370 miles (or probably over 400 on the ground) - pretty amazing. But apparently not amazing for her. Her club record for the 24 hour TT is 441 miles!

I hope it's nothing too serious. I guess you wouldn't have to be terribly sick to realise you aren't going to be able to cycle another 400 miles in the next 24 hours.
    Aravis likes this.
  14. Aravis

Aravis White-Haired Trundler

I suppose I've become thoroughly accustomed to the mentality surrounding the year-long efforts, but this is a bit different, isn't it? Just a couple of hours where the level isn't right could signal the end, and it doesn't mean it will happen the next time. Still, it's a great shame, when everything was looking so promising.

I'd taken hardly any interest at all in this until yesterday afternoon when I noticed the route passed very close to my home. I'd always assumed Chepstow - Hereford - Shrewsbury would be the optimal route. I'll be better prepared next time - the hill heading north out of Tewkesbury should be a good spot for a picture.

GWS Jasmijn.
    Arjimlad likes this.