LEJOG. Right time of the year?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

Kirstie said:
Or you might be extra tasty?
They like me too...
;)

It does bring back a memory. As I was nearing the summit of Cairngorm a few years back, I saw a walker coming towards me, swatting the midges away from his face. He paused and said "och aye, they're nae respectors of altitude". A marvellous turn of phrase, I thought.

I do find the Avon Skin so Soft spray is very effective at repelling the little blighters. Midges that is, not the Scots.

They're quite gruesome too in the way they bite. They don't have a pronger (technical term, that) like a mosquito which they stick into your flesh and suck blood with. They actually razor through your flesh with tiny razory jaws and chomp away at the fibres. That's why the bites can turn nasty. Apparently there are many different kinds of midge. Only a few bite people. The rest of them scrompf on all the other unfortunate animals and birds which inhabit the highlands.

We call Avon skin so soft 'granny juice' because when you wear it you smell like your gran. If we're feeling posh we call it 'jus de grande-mere'.

klanky

Certainly October is getting a little late in the year to be in our neck of the woods (JOG).

We get quite a few people in September, but numbers drop to virtually zero in October as the weather can be very unpredictable. The winds can be quite strong in Caithness when the weather turns and, as those of you who have done LEJOG will know, Caithness is very, very open.

I'd do it in September.

Top Bottom