LEJOG Training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mitz

Mitz

At least its warm rain!!!! The rain you'll get here (if at all) will be quite different!! ;)

Keep pushing the mileage to ensure you are capable of doing an 80 miler, I'm sure you are but it helps with your mindset when you start LEJOG to know you can complete that sort of mileage, just gotta do that every day during your trip!! :thumbsup:

Good luck

Chris

Thanks Chris, I'm cycling to a place called Xative within the next week, that will be about 100 kms round trip

We got soaked at least once a day for a week but after the first couple of days you get used to it and just carry on. Once you're soaked you can't get any wetter so you might as well just carry on. Stopping just makes you get cold!

Actually, thats exactly what I did. I sheltered under a bridge for about 15 mins and then decided What the hell". After a short while you dont feel it any more!

OP
OP
Mitz

Mitz

Well this is the "route" that my partner in crime has worked out
Any c0omments?

Day 1 - St. Austell 52 miles
Day 2 - Exeter 74 miles
Day 3 - WestonSuper Mare 61 miles
Day 3 - Hereford 76 miles
Day 4 - Shrewsbury 64 miles
Day 5 - Northwich 64 miles
Day 6 - Giggleswick 76 miles
Day 7 - Carlisle 76 miles
Day 8 - Castle Douglas 53 miles
Day 9 - Androssan (Lochranza) 84 miles
Day 10 - Oban 65 miles
Day 11 - Fort Augustus 76 miles
Day 12 - Bonar Bridge 71 miles
Day 13 - Tongue 49 miles
Day 14 - John O'Groats 64 miles

Rebel Ian

Any c0omments?

Day 2 - Exeter 74 miles
Day 10 - Oban 65 miles
Day 13 - Tongue 49 miles

Looks pretty sensible to me. Which route are you taking on day 2? Whichever way is quite hilly so 74 miles is a tough one, especially on day 2. You'll sleep well after that! Fort Augustus is nice - we stopped there for lunch before doing the South side of Loch Ness.

shirokazan

Veteran
Any comments?

Day 2 - Exeter 74 miles
Day 10 - Oban 65 miles
Day 13 - Tongue 49 miles

Your 14 day plan appears to be 15 as you have "Day 3" twice, unless you're planning on doing 137 miles that day.

OP
OP
Mitz

Mitz

Your 14 day plan appears to be 15 as you have "Day 3" twice, unless you're planning on doing 137 miles that day.

Ahh, the deliberate mistake
blush.gif

Yes, we changed it to 15 when we moved things around a bit, and of course I forgot to change the numbers

OP
OP
Mitz

Mitz

I did my first 50 mile ride today. The route I chose actually turned out to be quite a challenge, very hilly all the way with a horrendous 3 mile steep hill down to a valley at half way point which of course I had to come back up. No ill effects, feel fine
biggrin.gif

Took me just over 4 hours though, and by mid morning the temp was up to 33 degrees which was really very very difficult to cope with. I guess I wont have that problem though in September in England
laugh.gif

Only breakfast of cereal, a chocolate bar along the way and two cans of red bull ..... have to be more organised on that front!

wintonbina

Über Member
Be careful with the red bull, I would go with SiS 'go gels' & choc bars (snickers etc) and regular doses of flapjacks!

Good luck with the training, it looks like you're getting there. With the trip being spaced out over 15 days you will be fine ( Like everyone says 'get Cornwall & Devon out of the way & the rest will be a lot easier.

I'm so envious now, its seems like an eternity since I came back ( one month :becool: ago) I would definitely do it again, all I have to look forward to now is a sportive (100 miles) for my boys foundation (www.primera-sports.com) but its not the same so enjoy every moment my friend cos it will come around so quick or it seems like it and then you will be moping like the rest of us!!!!!!
Keep up the training,

Tony

OP
OP
Mitz

Mitz

Be careful with the red bull, I would go with SiS 'go gels' & choc bars (snickers etc) and regular doses of flapjacks!
Tony

I will do, I'm actually ordering stuff to be delivered to the UK, but the choice is limited here in Spain. They haven't heard of Flapjacks, and when I mention Snickers they just shrug their shoulders and laugh at me
biggrin.gif

Christkd

Good luck with the training, it looks like you're getting there. With the trip being spaced out over 15 days you will be fine ( Like everyone says 'get Cornwall & Devon out of the way & the rest will be a lot easier.

I'm so envious now, its seems like an eternity since I came back ( one month :becool: ago) I would definitely do it again, all I have to look forward to now is a sportive (100 miles) for my boys foundation (www.primera-sports.com) but its not the same so enjoy every moment my friend cos it will come around so quick or it seems like it and then you will be moping like the rest of us!!!!!!
Keep up the training,

Tony

Thats where I bought my bike! When is the sportive Tony?

OP
OP
Mitz

Mitz

Well, one more ride to do tomorrow and then I have to take my bike apart, bag it up and fly off to the UK. A couple of short rides when I'm over there and then we're off on the 2nd :bicycle:

€22 to take the bike on the plane

goody

Veteran
I used more or less the same route as you finishing last week. One recommendation is don't go straight up to Tongue but turn right onto the B876 and ride past Loch Naver. The scenery is stunning.

Eltel

I am planning to do this next aug with a campervan as backup but riding solo in i hope 6 days,have been riding 30 yrs with many races however apart from 3 Dragon rides (125 miles) and 2 TDF Alpine hols this is my first long distance solo effort. Plan on doing London Marathon in April then switch to bike for around 2000 miles in 3 months before i attempt the Lejog howver will still cycle during the marathon build-up
What are the biggest pitfalls for a first timer ? and how do you avoid Glasgow if you are travelling up the west coast ,nothing against Glasgow but will try to avoid the larger cities en-route.

Thanks for any advice received

goody

Veteran
I avoided Glasgow by heading NW to Ardrossan from Gretna and going via Arran, once back on the mainland head up to Oban then Fort William etc. Adds mileage (total was 984), I think the ferry costs for your campervan might be expensive as well.

Top Bottom