LEJOG Training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shirokazan

Veteran
...and how do you avoid Glasgow if you are travelling up the west coast...

Cut across Ayrshire and head for the Erskine Bridge. From Carlisle, I followed the cycle route that runs parallel to the A74M / M74 (the route is a B road / old A road, so good surface), then went Douglas Water > Muirkirk > Sorn > Galston > Stewarton > Caldwell > Howwood > Ranfurly > Houston > Bishopton > Erskine Bridge, if I remember correctly (looking at the map now).

Eltel

Thanks guys will look into both suggestions ,the campervan is not actually following but just heading to each nights destination (if i get there :smile: )

OP
OP
Mitz

Mitz

I used more or less the same route as you finishing last week. One recommendation is don't go straight up to Tongue but turn right onto the B876 and ride past Loch Naver. The scenery is stunning.

Thanks, we'll bear that in mind. I'll pass it on to the navigator
biggrin.gif

Did my 85 km run yesterday, very difficult with the temperatures hitting 33 degrees towards the finish.
Bagging up the bike was a nightmare, I have had to take so much apart to get it in

Flying off tomorrow. It doesn't seem that long since we first started talking about doing it ... time has flown
Ive lost over a stone in weight and am probably the fittest I have been for many years.

Now to see if it has all paid off

goody

Veteran
Good luck! one day at a time the journey'll soon be over and you'll be looking back at the best bits with the less enjoyable one's a distant memory.

OP
OP
Mitz

Mitz

Last ride before the off done today around the hills and countryside surrounding Stratford upon Avon. It's a lot cooler cycling here than in Spain :-)

Driving down to St Austell on Friday and being taken down to Lands End the following morning for an early start

Only problem so far is that John O'Groats bike carriers stop doing runs to inverness the day before we are supposed to arrive there, so we are having to forget the extra rest day that we were planning half way through so we get back in time.

Incidentally, we discovered Megabus do a coach service from Inverness to Birmingham for £24 which is handly, although it is about 9 hours with 4 stops on the way and arrives in Birmingham at 4 in the morning

Top Bottom