LEJOG vs JOGLE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JennyWr3n

Regular
Hi all :smile:

After a successful week on the bike last week with my brother, we have finally decided to get one of our childhood dreams done and cycle the end to end. Ours will be a bit different however, as we have no rush to do it in 9/10 days...he has 2 months off next summer (can take it when he likes) and I can take infinite time off work due to self employment. However, my calendar for June and August is pretty full already. We were thinking of taking around a month to complete it, either in May, July or from Mid August onwards. My brother hates the warmth and I hate the cold, so we understand with the times we have available there will be a degree of meeting in the middle ;) When would you personally recommend doing it? We can work around the hotter days by cycling early/late, but I am a complete pussy with the cold and have circulation issues and unless I haul my wool blankets with me I don't think May in Scotland will be advisable...so we're leaning towards July but open to advice and ideas.

Also open to ideas of what way to do it - I know the prevailing wind says you should do LEJOG, But logistically I'd prob prefer to go from the North as it means a quick(er) journey home once we're in Land's End.

Aside from taking the scenic route instead of rushing north/south, are there any places you would recommend? We want to spend 2 weeks at least getting through Scotland where we can wild camp to our hearts content and explore the highlands at a slow place. Will then have a slightly slower meander through the north of England, and can 'rush' a bit more once we clear Gloucester seeing as I live in Bristol and we can return to tour the south west with ease another time. (or vice versa if doing LEJOG.) Will check in to a campsite every so often to use facilities if we find none along the way, and maybe a hostel for a treat once or twice for a rest day in a town/city. Mostly looking to be self sufficient with food, water, camping etc where possible though.

Bonus question goes to anyone who knows the cheapest way to get from Bristol to JOG or back. I am the only driver in my family so there's no way we can get a lift...if we end in Land's End i'd be tempted to drive my campervan down those ways and leave it somewhere waiting for our return so we can load the bikes in and tack a few days of van camping on the end before driving home.
Hi- I too prefer the idea of travelling from North to South... For me it's because I prefer the idea of finishing in a warmer climate...and as I am not really concerned about prevailing winds and the science etc....I am toying with the idea of giving it a blast! It will have to wait until next year tho...as I've just returned from cycling in Italy with a busted wrist :sad:. I have to say..there are some really encouraging posts here though ;)

Ajax Bay

Guru
How's the planning going @Kosong ?

ianbarton

Veteran
Hi all :smile:

After a successful week on the bike last week with my brother, we have finally decided to get one of our childhood dreams done and cycle the end to end. Ours will be a bit different however, as we have no rush to do it in 9/10 days...he has 2 months off next summer (can take it when he likes) and I can take infinite time off work due to self employment. However, my calendar for June and August is pretty full already. We were thinking of taking around a month to complete it, either in May, July or from Mid August onwards. My brother hates the warmth and I hate the cold, so we understand with the times we have available there will be a degree of meeting in the middle ;) When would you personally recommend doing it? We can work around the hotter days by cycling early/late, but I am a complete pussy with the cold and have circulation issues and unless I haul my wool blankets with me I don't think May in Scotland will be advisable...so we're leaning towards July but open to advice and ideas.
If you are spending some time in Scotland and are camping, May is usually pre midge season. Midges in Scotland, along with the never ending rain are terrible! May often has more periods of decent weather, unlike the constant rain storms in the summer. I have been to Scotland about eight or nine times in "summer" and with one exception have had dreadful weather. In contrast trips in May have had much better weather and no midges.

MikeG

Guru
Just another little factor to chuck into your consideration is that far and away the hardest cycling on an end to end is through Devon and Cornwall. Honestly, the hills of Scotland are nothing compared with the continual up and down in the South West. So, if you're carrying all your own kit (if you aren't, you're cheating, and I'll be asking you to go back and do the thing properly) you might ask yourself whether you want to get all the climbing out of the way at the start, or whether you feel you'll be fighting fit and ready for the challenge at the end of the ride. We did Lejog.

Oh, and there are no vegetables in Scotland whatsoever (other than potatoes), so if you want awful food at the start of your ride or the end, you can work that into your calculations ;) :smile: .

Top Bottom