Lejog, what would you not do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

Alan Biles said:
I wouldn't turn left at Drumnadrochit onto the A831 and I'd never ever again turn right onto the A833 for a quick climb over the top to Beauly. That was the only time I got off and pushed.

Berriedale was a pig but at least it's fairly short and steep; I found the climb out of Helmsdale far worse - it just seemed to go on forever!

Up the middle to Tongue and across the top next time.

Ditto. Though one climb I did think worthwhile was the back road out of Ft Augustus to go to the eastern shore of Loch Ness. Very steep, but spectacular views from the top, and a lovely quiet descent towards Inverness.

hubbike

I took quite a minimalist approach. tent, sleeping bag, water bottle, pump, puncture repair kit, camera. ate cold food and pub lunches, camped wild. It was march and I had a -2 degree camp. I only had one set of clothes which I wore the whole trip.

I did it on a cheapo hybrid, but I would be temped by the possibility of doing it in summer on a racer and with just a bivvy bag. or even staying in youth hostels and only taking a water bottle, pump and a puncture repair kit.

GrahamG

Guru
User76 said:
If I were you, I would not go from Lands End to John O'Groats. If you live in the far SW then make your way to Scotland, and cycle home! If you have family or friends at home, then they can get excited as you get closer as well.

That's what I plan on doing - the thoughts of two days to travel home just puts me right off finishing at JOG, plus it'll gradually get warmer... in theory.

U

User482

GrahamG said:
That's what I plan on doing - the thoughts of two days to travel home just puts me right off finishing at JOG, plus it'll gradually get warmer... in theory.

I dunno, I live in Bristol and the journey back was quite easy: minibus from JOG to Inverness, sleeper to Euston, cycle to Paddington then on to Temple Meads. I was home by 11am, having finished at JOG 3pm the day before.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
A personal conclusion I came to on Lejog was gear ratios, although I rode every climb on a double easily, I spent much of the group tour on my own as those with lowering gearing rode the same climbs more sociably; I now have a bike with lower gearing as a result

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

seano

Shap seems to be a real highlight or lowlight. For me it came at the end of a horrific gale force and torrentialy wet day. The nice part to remember was the hospitality and geneorocity of Bill and Cath who ran the Waverly Inn and the barman from Tipperary. If anyone stops there pass on my regards.July '97. The worst place Red Root. Everywhere else was perfect. www.seanoreilly.4t.com

Top Bottom