Lejog, what would you not do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wouldn't ride for 14 days without a rest day. We were restricted to two weeks because of annual leave limitations, and the route we wanted to do was a longer one which took 14 days, so that's what we did. I was absolutely destroyed by the end. We should have had a day off in the middle.

U

User482

I wouldn't use a Specialized avatar saddle. It brought new meaning to the definition of pain.

beancounter

User3143 said:
Not go up and over Shap Fell, never again, <shakes head, as he remembers the 29 degree heat and pain, and then more pain>

I remember looking at my bike computer going up Shap and realising I would be quicker to get off and walk (I didn't though).

I wouldn't do it inadequately prepared (like I was) because it's blinking hard work. I thought I was going to die after just the first day (110 hilly miles through Cornwall). By the end, though, I'd recovered to the point where I genuinely felt I could have cycled 100 miles a day indefinitely.

bc

Anthony

A few things:

1) Avoid going along the very north east scottish coast, its tremendouly hilly (berriadale was especially bad). Go inland instead.

2) Don't bother doing the 3 peaks challenge aswell. Climbing up snowdon scarfell and nevis is not my idea of a good rest day!

3) I would avoid going so many A roads.

Apart from those things I loved it and I would do it again.

jack the lad

I would choose your company carefully. I did it with a chap I didn't know all that well. It became apparent even on the train journey down that he was a complete arse. He was better after I gave him an ultimatum at the top of Shap (What is it with Shap?) but it really spoilt the trip and I need to do it again so I can get rid of the bad taste.

jack the lad said:
I would choose your company carefully. I did it with a chap I didn't know all that well. It became apparent even on the train journey down that he was a complete arse. He was better after I gave him an ultimatum at the top of Shap (What is it with Shap?) but it really spoilt the trip and I need to do it again so I can get rid of the bad taste.

The same is true for all tours...

But I did it with someone I know really well, and there definitely was tension at various points because it was stressful as we were so tired, but because we had a good degree of underlying trust, it was fine.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I wouldn't waste so much time after waking up in the mornings. When cycle touring I am unable to break camp swiftly even when I pre-pack the night before. I don't know what I do with the time between getting out of the sleeping bag and setting off on the bike.

Drinking a caravan dry of all alcohol is also not a good idea. I didn't get on the road until 13:30 after that mammoth session.

seano

Shap well that was one section of Le2Jog that I have fond memories of. First the absolutly foul weather and the relief of finding the Waverly Inn on arrival in Penwrith. After a heathy breakfast next morning just the balance required after many pints of Guinness the previous night. However as I departed owners Bill and Cath refunded me the B & B cost to my charity remarking that "any **** to cycle over Shap in yesterdays weather did'nt deserve to pay". Regards to them and the barman from Tipperary if you happen to stay there.

U

User482

User3143 said:
Not go up and over Shap Fell, never again, <shakes head, as he remembers the 29 degree heat and pain, and then more pain>

Oddly enough, I didn't find Shap to be a problem. I was chatting to another Lejogger we met on route, and before I knew it, we were at the summit.

The climb up to Dartmoor, now that was hard going...as was the one out of Helmsdale. Still, I hit 46mph on the descent, and could actually feel the rear of my bike flexing with the weight of the panniers. My rear started flexing at that point!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
User482 said:
Oddly enough, I didn't find Shap to be a problem. I was chatting to another Lejogger we met on route, and before I knew it, we were at the summit.

I found Shap to be an ordeal when I did JOGLE. I've never seen the sun shine whenever I've been to Shap. It's always been raining whenever I've visited the place.

Shap was the most soul destroying climb on the entire ride, eclipsing Berriedale Braes and It took a while before it registered that I'd passed the summit and could enjoy the descent into Kendal.

Alan Biles

I wouldn't turn left at Drumnadrochit onto the A831 and I'd never ever again turn right onto the A833 for a quick climb over the top to Beauly. That was the only time I got off and pushed.

Berriedale was a pig but at least it's fairly short and steep; I found the climb out of Helmsdale far worse - it just seemed to go on forever!

Up the middle to Tongue and across the top next time.

P.H

Über Member
I wouldn't plan so much. There were days I'd have been happy to do another 20 or 30 miles and others where I was really struggling to make it to the booked stop. It was unnecessary, not one place we stayed was more than half full (Early June) If I were to do it again, I'd take lightweight camping gear and only a rough draft route.

Shap? I didn't go within 50 miles of it.

Top Bottom