1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lejog

Discussion in 'Lands End to John O'Groats (LEJOG)' started by MartDavis, 9 Jul 2007.

1. MartDavis

MartDavis Senior Member

Hi all,
    Does anyone know a website for planning an end-to-end route, and which direction does anyone suggest is better?
    Cheers

2. The CTC website is pretty good for route planning, so I believe. Or maybe Audax UK. The windy mostly blows from South to North, apparently so most people go Lands End - John O' Groats, not the other way around.

3. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Aside from specific charity rides, does anyone have any info on tour companies that you can buy into to do this?

I'm interested, but would feel more confident if the ride was supported.

4. redfox

redfox New Member

I went north to south for logistical reasons (my wife was prepared to meet me at Land's End which resulted in a lift home). I have heard that the wind is supposed to make this the tougher approach but I don't know it makes that big a difference, I seem to recall the wind was about 50-50 on my trip.

There are any number of routes on The Ultimate Links List of Land's End to John O'Groats Cycle Trips of which mine is number 254.

5. MartDavis

MartDavis Senior Member

Thanks everyone, I'm looking forward to doing that in September.

6. robgul

robgul Veteran

7. BlueTowser

BlueTowser New Member

if you intend to use any kind of navigation device I can recommend SatMap which also comes complete with route planning functionality either on the gadget itself or on line for future transfer.,

8. wyno70

wyno70 New Member

Not a company as such, more of a sponsored ride:

http://www.rideacrossbritain.com/

or simply google it and you'll probably find some charities that do supported rides. They'll probably want you to committ to raising about £2k though!

Another one, Action Medical Research springs to mind as I rode London to Paris for them in 2009.

9. The CTC has an entire forum devoted to LeJog, but the best way to plan a route is to get a road atlas to decide your daily routes and then plot using google earth, mapsource or tracklogs if you are downloading onto a GPS.

10. Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

Buy a big wall map, a highlighter pen and spread it out on the floor, get a beer and just go for it. I had great fun planning my route (JoG-LE);)