LEL 2017

Discussion in 'Audax, Brevet and Randonnee' started by martint235, 3 Jun 2014.

1. Redlight

Redlight Active Member

Thanks JJ. I'm planning to join the Fridays' ride down to Bognor tonight; I reckon that a leisurely ride in good company is just what I need to get me back in the mood. I went out briefly this morning for the first time since LEL just to make sure that the hands weren't going to be a problem. They should be OK, but I may not be changing gear quite as often as normal!

Glad to read that Alison is not defeated and, even with the wind, The Flatlands is a pretty benign 600 so hopefully she will get the bug properly. After all, she's to less than two years to get ready for PBP...

jiberjaber likes this.
  2. Redlight

Redlight Active Member

You're absolutely right. My mistake - which is embarrassing to confess as a reasonably seasoned randonneur - was treating the ride too much like a Sunday 200km and sitting around at too many of the controls still chatting after I had finished eating. At one, for example, I was just about to leave when someone that I hadn't seen since PBP came in, so that was another half hour gone! Looking back, I think it was stopping at Alston that tipped the scales against me. It was right to do so - I couldn't leave the French guy stuck up on the hill with no tyre - but my original plan of going straight through to Brampton was the right strategy.

3. DCLane

DCLane Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

Nice write-up and yes, I do like night riding. It's quieter and I seem to make better progress for odd reasons. There's less distractions and I can just keep pedalling.

velovoice likes this.
  4. middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist Call me MAC

LEL stickers.

Sorry for the delay in sending these out. Some pressing family issues. The bulk will start dropping through letterboxes in the coming week. Orders have exceeded my original supply though which is great. I have another print run on the way to me so a few will not be sent until w/c 18/09/17. All in, after I tally up costs, I expect at least £800.00 left over. As per Danial Webb's request I will be sending this to the charity RoadPeace which campaigns for victims of road related injuries.

iZaP likes this.
  5. TheAdventureCapitalist

TheAdventureCapitalist Darren Franks

6. middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist Call me MAC

All the LEL frame/mudguard sticker orders have now been posted (phew!). They should arrive by the middle of next week. I have lots left. If you didn't place an order but still want some please message me.

7. Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay Veteran

I have read this but not on here (?). Really well done to her long-sufferering 'chaperone'.
    Someone else on another place highlighted her slightly skewed perception of 'safety' implicit in this paragraph (warning: passage includes the word 'helmet'):
    He was impressed by her determination but found it baffling that somebody simultaneously thinks:
    "Someone did suggest I should try riding without my helmet, the reduction in weight would make a difference but this seemed like a step too far. I was finding my limits and pushing myself but I wasn’t prepared to go this far with my own safety."
    and
    "The hills were proving to be a greater challenge for my neck than my legs, being able to keep my head up and see was now my biggest problem. I just trusted myself enough to keep turning the pedals, hoping a car wouldn’t come in the opposite direction as I had veered to the right side of this narrow road."

Last edited: 10 Oct 2017
  8. DCLane

Have others got their brevet cards back?

Mine came back today and it's made my weekend. This little bit of paper spent 4 days with me and now sits with the medal and frame badge *

* The frame badge is going back on the Ridgeback Platinum, along with the PBP one. If my little second-hand component shed bike made it through both events it deserves both badges of honour.

CrinklyLion likes this.
  9. User1252

User1252 Guest

Show us a photo of you finishing stamp.

10. DCLane

Duly obliged:

DSCF5169.JPG

Shaun likes this.
  11. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Veteran

Very nice, got something similar planned for 2018?

12. User1252

User1252 Guest

Sorry I meant the one done at the end.

13. *tries to remember if she stamped that one at Barnie*

arallsopp likes this.
  14. DCLane

Here you go: at Barnard Castle (both ways) I was in dire need of Mauro's help, who was wonderful, and in a green Ravensthorpe CC jersey all the time (not the same one xx( ). At Loughton back I came in hot ... :crazy:

Thirsk south was the embarrassing one ... where I returned 30 minutes after setting out around 12:15pm Wednesday with a VERY ripped pair of shorts after a wall / wagon incident :blush:

DSCF5170.JPG
    DSCF5171.JPG

Ajax Bay, Shaun and CrinklyLion like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice