lellow bike, 'nover lellow bike exclaimed the little girl...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK - so for the title to make any sense you are going have to stay with me for at least the first 5 days.... and I will apologise to you all now, we were on the road for 13 days of cycling, so if you get bored I will understand :laugh:.

The plan for our summer holiday was to cycle out of home, head up to follow the Trans Pennine Trail west to Southport, freelance up the west coast to the start of the Hadrian's cycle way and follow that to its end on the east coast, freelance down the east coast to the other end of the TPT and then follow that home again - roughly 650-700 miles... little were we to know how seriously lucky we were to be compared to this time last year when we were baling out of Glencoe with snow on the tops... :cold:

Day 1 Saturday 30th August
88.7km from home to Hesketh Bank, Southport

It rained and rained and then rained a touch more overnight and when the alarm went off at 6am, neither of us was really ready to get up, but neither of us said anything to each other, so we both got up. Getting up and out was harder than it should have been and it takes so much longer to get 2 of us out of the house than when there is only 1 to get out of the house!

IMG_1123.JPG

Still looking clean and fresh - shouldn't last too long...:whistle:

Then for a while at least, familiar roads before we picked up the National Cycle Route (NCR) 5 and onto our first off-road section… We managed a stunning 30 mins into the ride before Stuart wanted to scent mark the first bush having covered less than 10km. At least it was twice the distance of last time we were out together! Then some mud, with the rear tyre slipping and a silent pray, more a hope that the shower that was passing over us was not going to get any heavier. I really didn’t want to start a cycle touring holiday with wet cycling kit or needing my waterproofs from the word go. It passed quickly by, as did the 2nd one without us needing to get our waterproofs out (whilst we were crossing the Runcorn bridge). The rain gods were silently thanked for their cooperation in this matter.

IMG_1124.JPG

Ahh - the delights of off-road touring with sustrans routes! :laugh:

Soon afterwards we came across the first of the hurdles for the day. This one was literally a hurdle – I should have really photo’ed it but it was a gate across the track, padlocked so you could not open it, with a dropped middle section to allow a horse to step over it… only the dropped section was higher than the BB on the bike which meant the bike had to be lifted over the barrier. Stuart got to do some weightlifting exercise early on… I can’t lift my bike… Before long we were onto unfamiliar roads and cycle paths and onto the Runcorn bridge. I had read on cyclechat somewhere about the directions to use the bridge (one side only have a pavement and it not really being that safe to cycle the road – it wasn’t and we didn’t… we cycled the pavement – whoever it was that gave the advice – thank you, it was very useful). Then it was time to pick up the Trans Pennine Trail (TPT) and follow it west to Southport.

What I had not done was read up on the TPT around the next bend… I don’t know if it would have helped knowing what was in store. Let’s just say that my handlebars being slightly wider and higher than Stuart’s (and most mountain bikes) caused some agro. The problem was a flight of steps – or more accurately several flights – all downhill, but each one having a hurdle part way down them to stop you cycling down them – fair enough, I can see that would be an issue – the problem was that the hurdles were too close together to get a laden touring bike through and the barrier too low for my handlebars to go under – Stuart was able to feed his bike under the barrier… mine was more interesting and required us to lift the rear wheel around as I inched the front wheel forward… Had we have encountered them in the opposite direction we would not have stood a chance…

IMG_1125.JPG

The rain shower has passed and a touch of sunshine made the Runcorn Bridge almost look good...

IMG_1126.JPG

Errr - cycle routes - steps... what?:wacko:

IMG_1133.JPG

Have you spotted the no cycling sign!

2nd breakfast was taken serenaded by Canada geese as they flocked onto the mud flats just before we left the River Mersey. Before long we were onto roads and following the TPT signs. I got a “WOOOOooooooowwwww” off a young lad after saying hello to him on his bike as I overtook him. He was with his father & younger brother. We couldn’t quite decide if it was a “female on a bike”, “female in lycra” or “female on a touring bike with panniers” wow, but he was definitely impressed and it made us both smile. :wub:

Further on and we were soon to find ourselves on one of many converted disused railways which ran almost all the way to Aintree and I have to say you would have had no idea you were cycling through Liverpool because I saw none of it (thankfully – I hate cities).

IMG_1136.JPG

Liverpool, honest!

IMG_1139.JPG
Still Liverpool, honest.... (and sunshine!)

Somewhere just before Aintree we spotted a Sainsbury’s supermarket and in true holiday touring style called in for a coffee. After Aintree we dropped onto a canal for a short period and it was most definitely a drop – more steps and rather steep, thankfully there was a tyre rut down one side for the bikes, but it was so steep that the tyres had no grip and were skidding down it… I was grateful that it was only a short section and that there was no-one at the bottom when my bike and I arrived there rather more quickly than I had planned. Just as we were trying to decide which canal it was, we came across a mile marker saying “Leeds 119 ½ miles”, so with that question answered we carried on a touch until we met a couple of other cyclists – I wanted to know if there were any benches further up the trail or if we were best using the grass at the side of the canal – there were none, so after a quick chat, we found a suitable grassy spot for lunch and had lunch in the sun.

IMG_1140.JPG

Then it was out on to the flat lands of north Cheshire and south Lancashire and both of us had forgotten exactly how flat that way (we met at uni in Preston many years ago…) We were also very grateful for a certain hedgerow which whilst it blocked our view, also shielded us from the wind because each and everytime the hedge disappeared or our route swung round into the wind, our speed dropped drastically….
After a blackberry picking session (for breakfast tomorrow) Southport soon arrived and we quickly found the start/end of the Trans Pennine Trail and got chatting to another cyclist (Nick Walkley) who was cycling the TPT trail raising money for the James Watson Fund For Brass Players.

IMG_1145.JPG

Not quite the end of the trail for us, but it isn't really the start of the TPT for us either... Still we may as well get the photo at both ends because we will be cycling all of it... won't we?

From there we could see the rain heading in but amazingly it missed us completely. We were north of it and heading away from it thankfully – reading Nick’s blog entry he got rather wet in it! Heading out of Southport I spotted a sign I should have stopped to photo at a RSPB reserve, it was on the gate and said “Wildlife only”! From there it was onto the campsite and time to get the tent up before the rain arrived on us, which we were fortunate to manage to do. The campsite was £10 for the night for the 2 of us, has a single toilet & wash basin (hot shower going in for next season) in a summer house and a kettle in the unmanned reception area (along with tea, coffee, sugar, milk powder etc) and a book swap/50p donation area. They also have picnic benches, so Stuart is happy!

http://www.strava.com/activities/194296306/overview

Last edited:

potsy

Rambler
Will follow this write up with interest, done the Southport TPT leg twice now, certainly some interesting obstacles to stop it being boring aren't there?
Some people manage them better than others though, don't they @I like Skol? (yes that is him cycling UP those steps) :wacko:

skol showing how it should be done.jpg

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Day 2 - Sunday 31st August 2014
Bolton Le Sands - 82.94km
(part 1 of 3, too many photos!)

I think we are probably the first cyclists in history to have their tent attacked by a bird of prey during the night! Let me start at the beginning…

I was woken in the night by a thud. Something/someone had either hit the tent, tripped over a guy rope or an elastic had broken. A quick check by torch between the inner and outer confirmed it was not the latter and that the tent appeared from the inside at least, to be OK. It was still standing and there were no obvious problems, so given there was no swearing and I could hear no movement, I went back to sleep…In the morning, I had forgotten about the ‘incident’ and whilst I went to the bathroom, I asked Stuart to give the tent a quick once over with the tent towel to make the most of the dry weather with the hope of taking down a dry tent (It had rained heavily overnight). When I got back to the tent, Stuart greeted me with the words “you are not going to like this” and my heart sank. What he showed me was 4 holes on 1 side of the seam and another on the other side. He had found them highlighted by soft downy feathers when he had been wiping down the tent. The down stuck to the tent by the water droplets. From what we can guess, either a bird of prey missed its prey and hit the tent with talons extended or mistook something on the tent for prey… either way, it hit the tent with talons extended and that is what I had heard. The problem is that that area is over my feet (and sometimes my head) and is no longer waterproof and this is the first night of our holiday. Now strangely whilst I have a sewing kit handy, and could sacrifice either the tent bag or the footprint bag (both are of the same type of material as the tent outer) I would then need to seal the stitches and unsurprisingly the seam sealant is at home! So some innovation is needed.

IMG_1146.JPG

Early morning light...

IMG_1151.JPG

Some wandering peacocks and peahens...

Now over the years I have used self-adhesive inner tube patches to patch all sorts of things from the tent footprint (where they are still going strong – 3 of them in fact) to my waterproof cycling top after a discussion with some barbed wire to quite recently my sleeping bag – trying to stitch something full of down is exceedingly difficult. All are still well adhered, so having made sure the tent outer was thoroughly dry, we now have 4 of them covering the 5 holes on the tent outer… Tonight will be the test, it is due to rain heavily again. Worst case scenario we go through Kendal, Windermere and Ambleside tomorrow where I should be able to get what I need to repair the tent if the inner tube patches don’t hold up!

IMG_1148.JPG

4 of the 5 holes...

IMG_1154.JPG

My DIY cyclist repair kit came out again.

Hopefully that is all 3 incidents for the tent now – it has been gnawed by a mountain lemming (far north of Norway, Grense Jakobselv), tripped over by a reindeer (just don’t ask) and now attacked by a bird of prey. If it wishes to feel picked on, I will understand!

Getting into Preston was easier and less stressful than anticipated. My memories of the A59 from x many years ago had come back to haunt me in the planning stage, but I had finally come to my senses and realised that if we set out from the campsite at 8am we would be doing it early on a Sunday morning and it should be OK… And indeed it was – in fact it was a doddle and we were in Preston before long and promptly missed it all when we picked up the “Guild Wheel” cycleway and bypassed yet another town… There was one hurdle through the marina though – and if you are even there cycling it, ignore the signs for the cycle way when you get to the bridge across the railway line almost at the marina – just cycle across the railway – the barriers are a nightmare to negotiate with a laden touring bike.

IMG_1155.JPG

The River Ribble looking quite nice from the Guild Wheel cycle path opened 2012.

We also came out of ‘Preston’ much further down than either of us expected and before long were at Clifton and turning off another road that should have been a nightmare to ride (Preston to Lytham) and wasn’t because it was still early on a Sunday morning…. Then came a toll bridge – 20p per cyclist.

IMG_1156.JPG

A first glimpse of something less than flat!

Before long a veg booth at the side of the road with an honesty box scheme – we just wished some of the ‘portions’ were a touch smaller, but we did pick up the veg for our evening meals for the next 2 nights for a total of 80p… I know who to splash out don’t I? Next we also came across a shop, to buy the tinned tomatoes to go with the pasta – the veg booth only had 1kg size bags of fresh toms and we didn’t really want either that many or fresh toms this early in the day. That had our evening meal sorted, just breakfast left to pick…

Lunch was delayed slightly by us spotting a picnic sign on the map and sure enough there was a picnic site with new picnic benches around a lake. A leisurely lunch was thus taken, and then it was onto Glasson Dock for a 2nd lunch.

IMG_1158.JPG

The lunch stop.

IMG_1159.JPG

Lunchtime entertainment was put on by some swans.

Stuart got coffee and cake, so for him a dessert rather than 2nd lunch, but my allergy to dairy meant no cake for me, so a plate of chips was the order of the day!

IMG_1163.JPG

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Day 2 Part 2 of 3

From there we followed the NCR 6 off road to Lancaster where we were able to stop off and pick the blackberries required for breakfast tomorrow. NCR6 also did a good job of almost bypassing Lancaster – this being as close as we got to it other than when we used a new pedestrian/cyclist bridge to cross the river.

IMG_1166.JPG

Before long we were on the Lancaster canal, which although the surface is tarmac it is in very poor condition which made slow progress, but we were in no rush and were well ahead of schedule and it was getting warm in the sunshine.

IMG_1168.JPG

A bridge on the Lancaster Canal

IMG_1170.JPG

A little glimpse of the Lake District from the Lancaster Canal

We managed to arrive at the planned campsite for 3pm – we could have pushed on, but we already have a short day tomorrow (60km if that). We had debated pushing on, but with UK campsites it can be quite hard to know if they actually take tents, so we stayed with our plans and called it a day early on. The site we are on overlooks Morecambe Bay and cost us £12 for the night. We are on a hill, with a good breeze, sitting in sunshine looking at the Lake District.

IMG_1172.JPG

Just prior to arrival at the campsite - taken from my bike.

IMG_1173.JPG

The view from the tent looking towards Morecambe Bay.

IMG_1176.JPG

The view from the tent looking north east (ish)

IMG_1177.JPG

The tent (still feeling picked on!)...

IMG_1181.JPG

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Keep the write-up and photos coming.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Day 3 - Monday 1st September 2014
Low Wray, Windermere, 60.7km

The sun did disappear behind the cloud bank last night, and it rained overnight. When the alarm went off at 6am it was still raining, so given that we knew we had a short day today, in the age old fashion of cycle touring we cancelled the alarm and had an hour’s lie in. Life looked so much better at 7am without rain! Thankfully the inner tube patches have held and stuck well and the tent has remained waterproof, so we will risk not picking up any seam sealant and keep our fingers crossed.

We headed off back towards the canal to follow that for a short period, before locating a supermarket, doing a touch of shopping and then leaving the ‘flat lands’ and heading off into ‘climbing country’. It didn’t take long to find 1st gear, but sadly there were not much in the way of views to be had because it was country lanes, high hedges, woodland and sometimes grass up the middle of the road. It was also quite dull, so when we did get a view, it wasn’t great, so to speak.

IMG_1214.JPG

The best of the views today - it was very cloudy early on.

IMG_1215.JPG

Lumpy country now...

Lunch found us in Kendal, back on the ‘not much distance covered before lunch’ routine, but today it really did not matter. We knew we didn’t have far to go and this was deliberate because of what we have planned for tomorrow… (gulp)… So when we found a bench next to the river in Kendal, and the sun was almost out, and it was almost midday, we stopped and had lunch…

IMG_1216.JPG

Smile - you're in the photo again!

Leaving Kendal, I spotted a bike shop and Stuart was sent in to purchase some cycling shorts – he has managed to leave his ¾ length shorts at home and literally only has the ones he is wearing – which are winter weight cycling longs. I also asked him to purchase some more inner tube patches just in case we actually need some for the bikes – this is mostly to cover ourselves more than anything else because we are carrying a spare inner tube each as well, but at the rate we are going, we may need more patches for other bits of equipment!

Leaving Kendal was and up/down event, but progress was hampered by hysterics when we came across a field of cows with a bull in it. We were doing fine right up until the bull literally said “moo” rather than actually mooing. Unfortunately, he repeatedly said “moo” and appeared to have missed the point that bulls should not try being a soprano! Cycling uphill whilst laughing hysterically at a bull is not something either of us succeeded at, so we had to stop…. This is the bull in question…

IMG_1219.JPG

A touch of sunshine and the soprano bull who says "moo". :laugh:

Before too long we were on the main Kendal – Windermere road, or more accurately the cycle route that is alongside it and is actually in very good condition – the tarmac being smoother and better than the road surface! We found a café in Stavley and had a chat with a guy with a lovely collie. He offered the use of his field overnight, but sadly we had to decline because we really did need to make a touch more progress than we had mad at that point! Then somehow we missed Windermere completely. It is entirely possible we were enjoying the downhill too much at this point, having baled to the road because we were rather faster than was safe for a pavement cycle path with pedestrians on it. You always know when you are having fun going downhill because cars stop overtaking you and start holding back, a long way back… But missing Windermere was a pain because it now meant we had to divert into Ambleside for bread and we also need to purchase another gas cylinder which turned out to be easier than expected when I spotted a Cotswold Outdoors in a garden centre on the outskirts.... cue SNSSO disappearing left in front of OH who had not seen the same...

Going through Ambleside was the chaos expected, with the added bonus of a suicidal pedestrian walking off the pavement in front of me whilst I was going downhill following the last car in a queue quite closely and not that slowly … even other pedestrians yelled at him to stop – he had never looked after the last car went through and it was that close that I couldn’t even get to my brakes let alone apply them in time. :eek: Thankfully I was able to swerve in front of him and recover. I was too pissed off to bother stopping which was probably a good thing in hindsight.

3pm found us at the campsite, minus the blackberries required for breakfast, so we just had to go for a walk… Campsite fees £11.50 for the night.

IMG_1222.JPG

Not many campers now, but it has been a very busy year apparently - and the grass or lack of it, shows the wear and tear.

IMG_1224.JPG

A view from the blackberry hunt...

IMG_1229.JPG

Another view of Lake Windermere

IMG_1236.JPG

Blackberries were successfully hunted around this boat house.

Now for an early night, we have a big day ahead of us tomorrow - the Wrynose and Hardknott Passes! :ohmy:

http://www.strava.com/activities/194296249

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Day 4 (Part 1 of 3 because I stop to take too many pictures...) - Tuesday 2nd September 2014
St Bee’s, 72.33km

We slept well last night, which was good news given what was lined up for today. We woke to clear skies and calm weather, but 100% humidity with the mist rising off the land and water.

IMG_1238.JPG

6:20am and Lake Windermere looks rather pretty...

We managed to be on the road for 8am and it wasn’t long before the climbing started. And it wasn’t easy from the word go and that was before we had even reached the bottom of what in our minds was the start of the climb for today. To make matters worse, the sky was blue, the sun was out and it was hot! The battle paint (sun block factor 50) had to be applied early on.

IMG_1246.JPG

Yep - that is today' plan. :whistle: :surrender:

It didn’t take long for Stuart to disappear into the distance – not helped by me wanting to take photos... The usual approach is that he cycles to the top of the climb and waits for me, but this was never going to work on a day like today… We had both the Wrynose and the Hardknott passes to do and we were doing them east to west, that’s the harder direction… It was also not helped by the passage of cars which can’t pass bikes on this narrow road at the best of times and by tourists who just don’t think… top that off with an uneven road surface…

IMG_1247.JPG

IMG_1248.JPG

IMG_1249.JPG

Look - I even got my bike into this picture!

IMG_1252.JPG

I know that I cycled up more of the Wrynose than the Hardknott pass, but there were long section where I had to concede defeat and push the bike up, mostly because once you have stopped you can’t get started again on a +20% gradient… We met one road cyclist who looked terrified – he was going down the Wrynose pass heading towards Ambleside slower than I was going uphill! :stop:

IMG_1253.JPG

Sorry about the quality issues - I was not feeling my best... almost at the summit and the last of the view back the way we had come up.

IMG_1255.JPG

Another attempt, this time without the bikes and after a few minutes breather...

We had an early break at the summit of the Wrynose pass for a much needed coffee & sandwich before heading off down the Wrynose pass on the way to the Hardknott pass. I did try to get a photo of Stuart but he sped off into the distance and ignored by requests to return and try again…

IMG_1258.JPG

The "I really don't care what I look like" pose at the summit of the Wrynose Pass...

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Day 4 - Part 2 of 3

IMG_1260.JPG

Downhill for a short period...

IMG_1261.JPG

Err - can you come back please, I didn't get you in the photo....

At the bottom of the Hardknott pass we met 2 more tourers on Thorn Sherpa’s and stopped to have a chat in the middle of the road as you do… eventually both parties conceded that we needed to return to climbing and we said goodbye and headed off up the Hardknott pass. Even Stuart had to concede defeat on this pass and push his bike up the hairpin bends. It seems that 30% is too much even for him! We stopped for another breather and photo at the top of the Hardknott pass and set up an action shot of Stuart cycling down it…

IMG_1263.JPG

Somewhere on the way up the Hardknott pass.

IMG_1265.JPG

Looking back at the Wrynose Pass - which is now in shade and I'm not... typical...

We were both much faster down the passes than the motor cars were which was causing us a problem – we couldn’t overtake the cars so had to sit behind them…. timing was essential but the great thing about being fast down the passes, is that oncoming vehicles do stop for you!

So whilst we have cycled over both passes, I can’t honestly claim to have cycled up either of them. I will happily claim to have cycled down both of them though! I was also filmed cycling over both of the passes by passing motorcyclists… now if only I could track down that evidence…

IMG_1267.JPG

The 2 bikes one cyclist photo at the top of the Hardknott Pass...

IMG_1277.JPG

The 2 bikes, 2 cyclists and a couple of blades of grass at the top of the Hardknott Pass photo.... :laugh:

IMG_1279.JPG

Ready, steady....

IMG_1280.JPG

Crap, can you come back please - I missed the shot!

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Day 4 (Part 3 of 3)

Lunch (I hope you noticed that I did manage to get up and over both passes before lunch!) was taken somewhere down in Eskdale where we spotted several steam trains on the Ravenglass – Eskdale railway and blackberries were abound, they were collected for breakfast tomorrow. Then it was onto Ravenglass to find the start of the Hadrian’s Cycle Way which we were going to be following for the next few days across the Pennines and into Tyneside.

IMG_1285.JPG

Found in Ravensglass...

IMG_1292.JPG

Also found in Ravensglass...

IMG_1288.JPG

A rather inauspicious start to the Hadrian's Cycle Way.

IMG_1290.JPG

That 72 is the only indication that this Roman Bath house is the start of the Hadrian's Cycle Way at this end of the route!

We stopped for a drink at the railway station in Drigg for a coffee where there is a nice café and then headed off to continue northwards…

IMG_1294.JPG

We've just come from over there...

Well that was the theory and it was working fine right up until Sellafield where there was a single diversion sign for the NCR 72 (which is the Hadrian’s Cycle Way HCW) and then all trace vanished…

IMG_1297.JPG

Back to the delights of Sustrans routes and off-roading on touring bikes. Actually it was not that bad.

We also managed to pass Sellafield at shift change, so the road was rather busy, but given the number of staff there that cycle, the drivers were pretty used to cyclists so it wasn’t a problem. When we knew we had lost all trace of the NCR 72 diversion, we headed off towards Beckermet where we refound the NCR 72 and promptly headed off in the wrong direction… in the end we quit with it for a short period because our campsite was not on the route anyway and headed off down some back lanes towards St Bee’s where I was told off by another cyclist for giving way to a car!

The campsite is the most expensive we have had so far, but we need a shower and the alternatives were a single toilet and cold water tap, so let’s just hope the showers are worth it. £18 for the night.
OK – back from the shower, and they were definitely worth it despite their initial appearance! Hot and plenty of water.

IMG_1298.JPG

The view from the tent as the sun went down...

http://www.strava.com/activities/194296216

Top Bottom