lellow bike, 'nover lellow bike exclaimed the little girl...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hyslop

Veteran
Well,thank you,a wonderful read each day.Many congratulations to you both on your achievement,your enthusiasm and humour shine out through your account.Perhaps if ever you ride along the Solway in future you might consider a placard(lightweight of course!)pointing people to the site.:thumbsup:Thanks again.

Ern1e

Über Member
Thanks for such an inspirational account I must admit it is quite sad it's over but i fel sure you will do another one soon (hopefully he says)

Fubar

Guru
What an adventure!
Hurry up @Fubar, organize our next tour :smile:
All the pictures are spectacular, SatNav, I particularly like the "selfie" of you and Stuart riding along together.

I'm working on it, my head is full of rides I'd really like to do - just need to give up work!

p.s. I really liked that photo too ;)

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Seems you are following me around.....Bolton-le-Sands (born about a mile away)....Kendal (lived there when I first left home).....Woodhead (just down the road from where I live now)

I rode the TPT with my Dad a few years ago Glossop - Penistone and back over the Woodhead on a hired MTB. The TPT is hard around there...Dunford Bridge is a hard climb.

david k

Hi
Further on and we were soon to find ourselves on one of many converted disused railways which ran almost all the way to Aintree and I have to say you would have had no idea you were cycling through Liverpool because I saw none of it (thankfully – I hate cities).
View attachment 56164
Liverpool, honest!
View attachment 56165 Still Liverpool, honest.... (and sunshine!)
Somewhere just before Aintree we spotted a Sainsbury’s supermarket and in true holiday touring style called in for a coffee. After Aintree we dropped onto a canal for a short period and it was most definitely a drop – more steps and rather steep, thankfully there was a tyre rut down one side for the bikes, but it was so steep that the tyres had no grip and were skidding down it… I was grateful that it was only a short section and that there was no-one at the bottom when my bike and I arrived there rather more quickly than I had planned. Just as we were trying to decide which canal it was, we came across a mile marker saying “Leeds 119 ½ miles”, so with that question answered we carried on a touch until we met a couple of other cyclists – I wanted to know if there were any benches further up the trail or if we were best using the grass at the side of the canal – there were none, so after a quick chat, we found a suitable grassy spot for lunch and had lunch in the sun.
View attachment 56166
Then it was out on to the flat lands of north Cheshire and south Lancashire and both of us had forgotten exactly how flat that way (we met at uni in Preston many years ago…) We were also very grateful for a certain hedgerow which whilst it blocked our view, also shielded us from the wind because each and everytime the hedge disappeared or our route swung round into the wind, our speed dropped drastically….
After a blackberry picking session (for breakfast tomorrow) Southport soon arrived and we quickly found the start/end of the Trans Pennine Trail and got chatting to another cyclist (Nick Walkley) who was cycling the TPT trail raising money for the James Watson Fund For Brass Players.
View attachment 56167
Not quite the end of the trail for us, but it isn't really the start of the TPT for us either... Still we may as well get the photo at both ends because we will be cycling all of it... won't we?
From there we could see the rain heading in but amazingly it missed us completely. We were north of it and heading away from it thankfully – reading Nick’s blog entry he got rather wet in it! Heading out of Southport I spotted a sign I should have stopped to photo at a RSPB reserve, it was on the gate and said “Wildlife only”! From there it was onto the campsite and time to get the tent up before the rain arrived on us, which we were fortunate to manage to do. The campsite was £10 for the night for the 2 of us, has a single toilet & wash basin (hot shower going in for next season) in a summer house and a kettle in the unmanned reception area (along with tea, coffee, sugar, milk powder etc) and a book swap/50p donation area. They also have picnic benches, so Stuart is happy!
http://www.strava.com/activities/194296306/overview

Know this section well, nice run to southport, i take a section of it past sainsburys weekly, very nice.

Goldie

Über Member
Just read your write up from start to finish SatNav - it was great! It was particuarly awe inspiing noting how quickly you both crossed my patch round Scarborough. I might be teaching granny to suck eggs here but you should definitely give NCN1 a go between Whitby and Scarborough - there are some spectacular views that the A171 misses. There are some pictures from the last time I rode the route here: http://thelangsett.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/scarbjorca.html

Top Bottom