Lemond

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Been having a close look at the bike and apart from a few tiny scuffs there seems to be no damage and the finish is in super condition. However the bottom bracket is a puzzle to me (see photo). Has anyone an idea why the number has been scratched through and another one engraved ?
The TVT number is left untouched as you can see.
2018-03-20 16.59.13.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Been having a close look at the bike and apart from a few tiny scuffs there seems to be no damage and the finish is in super condition. However the bottom bracket is a puzzle to me (see photo). Has anyone an idea why the number has been scratched through and another one engraved ?
The TVT number is left untouched as you can see. View attachment 400795

who knows why , so any miles yet ?

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
I failed miserably to make any progress with putting the TVT back together yesterday. This was largely due to the demands of two bl..dy horses and their high maintenance routine :hyper: The only bike related stuff was to clean and treat the leather of the Rolls San marco seat so off to the workshop pronto to see how it looks on the pin :smile:
2018-03-22 09.43.19.jpg

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Slowly making progress, as you can see l have the new passion in my little world put together (sort of).
I wanted to have the bike checked properly so have taken it to my LBS. He's a one man band and a top bloke who's name is Thierry Tran Duc...cant be bad eh? He doesn't get excited often but when he saw the TVT his first words were ooh tres beau velos Christophe.
2018-03-22 15.13.22.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Slowly making progress, as you can see l have the new passion in my little world put together (sort of).
I wanted to have the bike checked properly so have taken it to my LBS. He's a one man band and a top bloke who's name is Thierry Tran Duc...cant be bad eh? He doesn't get excited often but when he saw the TVT his first words were ooh tres beau velos Christophe. View attachment 401100

Pretty little thing that @woodbutcher

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Pretty little thing that @woodbutcher
My sentiments exactly.....it is a bit weird because of it being so light, l get the feeling that lve missed some bits off .

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Yes i have just come back from 14 miles on a full carbon di2 quipped bike that weighs about the same as a small bag of onions compared to the normal steel tanks

I bet your modern carbon bike doesn't have the good looks of Woodbutcher's vintage one though! What the modern CF makers fail to understand is that simply making a bike light & quick, isn't enough. It needs to be pleasing on the eye as well, something which was always high up in the design criteria of classic steel machines.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I bet your modern carbon bike doesn't have the good looks of Woodbutcher's vintage one though! What the modern CF makers fail to understand is that simply making a bike light & quick, isn't enough. It needs to be pleasing on the eye as well, something which was always high up in the design criteria of classic steel machines.

Agree not quite got the looks but its not totally butt ugly like some

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Agree not quite got the looks but its not totally butt ugly like some
lf l may say so that is a very restrained reply to Skipdiver John :whistle: Much more so than what l said to Thierry Tran Duc when he had a look at my TVT and announced that it was "not original" , my heart sank l can tell you but what he meant was that it would have had down tube shifters originally and then grudgingly agreed that the ergo shifters were very nice and "safer" as he put it. ^_^

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
lf l may say so that is a very restrained reply to Skipdiver John :whistle: Much more so than what l said to Thierry Tran Duc when he had a look at my TVT and announced that it was "not original" , my heart sank l can tell you but what he meant was that it would have had down tube shifters originally and then grudgingly agreed that the ergo shifters were very nice and "safer" as he put it. ^_^

So you going to re instate them ?

I thought it was a safe reply and one i stand by , your Lemond still has that "steelness" looking quality in tube shape etc etc , bit like the early Giant Cadex's and Specialized Epic's of same era

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
So you going to re instate them ?

I thought it was a safe reply and one i stand by , your Lemond still has that "steelness" looking quality in tube shape etc etc , bit like the early Giant Cadex's and Specialized Epic's of same era
Nope, the ergo shifters stay at least for now, l don't see any reason to be all purist, l just want something that works well . I will change the bar tape and cable sleeves from white to black though.....just tinkering really

Top Bottom