Lemond

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simonali

Guru
One of the racier cycling mags had Greg Lemond as a guest editor a while back. Did anyone get it and was it a good read? I'm starting to wish I'd bought it when I saw it now! :biggrin:

Noodley

simonali said:
One of the racier cycling mags had Greg Lemond as a guest editor a while back. Did anyone get it and was it a good read? I'm starting to wish I'd bought it when I saw it now! :biggrin:

Yes it was. I have finsihed with it. Send me a PM with your address and I'll send it on to you.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Fab guy.... really hated by the French, but he was so less arrogant than Armstrong.....

If you were a follower of the Tour when the Hinault/Lemond struggle went on....epic.....some fab years those early 90's.

Keith Oates

Janner
Yes, it was Procycling and I bought it out here for about #8. I'm not a Lemond fan and so considered not getting it however with so little English cycling mags around I went ahead and bought it anyway. I would not say it was a good read and would not recommend buying it just for that, I hope it does not become a regular habit of the mag to use him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Abitrary

simonali said:

I actually bought it for a train journey (WHSmith run out of C+).

There was an article about how he'd change the UCI regulations, and I honestly learnt more about drug / technical / general issues in pro cycling in that in other magazines that I pick up from time to time put together.

fossyant

My hero is probably Hinault..... that's how my bikes are set up by.... no TDF one race a year wonders, a guy who won loads of races........ must try and find the bloody book, as I might need a new bike some time.....

Noodley

Keith Oates said:
I'm not a Lemond fan and so considered not getting it however with so little English cycling mags around I went ahead and bought it anyway. I would not say it was a good read and would not recommend buying it just for that, I hope it does not become a regular habit of the mag to use him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<adopts interested and non-confrontational attitude>

Why is that Keith?

I must admit I was never a huge Lemond fan at the time, and I do think he can be a bit of an arse at times. However, I thought the mag revealed quite a bit about him and the era in which he raced - and why he may appear to be an "arse".

Lemond is widely recognised as the last clean winner of the TdeF.

monnet

Guru
fossyant said:
If you were a follower of the Tour when the Hinault/Lemond struggle went on....epic.....some fab years those early 90's.

They were indeed, assuming you mean the Hinault/Lemond battles of the mid-late 80's. Lemond last won the Tour in 1990, Hinault retired at the end of 1986.

fossyant

Noodley - the last bit is where it is at....... Chuffin awesome the Lemond years...... how the hell do you overhaul a team mate like Hinault... ouch.... For me, those years were the best - so dramatic... we all know about the Fignon / Lemond final TT.... OMG..... but to do the business on Bernie.... !!

monnet said:
They were indeed, assuming you mean the Hinault/Lemond battles of the mid-late 80's. Lemond last won the Tour in 1990, Hinault retired at the end of 1986.

I read that as Lemond/Fignon. Which one did you mean Fossyant? My all time classic has to be the Lemond/Fignon battle where Lemond won by 8 secs on the final day. I doubt that will ever be topped as a climax to the Tour. They haven't dared put a TT on the final day since.

Dave5N

Über Member
Noodley said:
<adopts interested and non-confrontational attitude>

Why is that Keith?

I must admit I was never a huge Lemond fan at the time, and I do think he can be a bit of an arse at times. However, I thought the mag revealed quite a bit about him and the era in which he raced - and why he may appear to be an "arse".

Lemond is widely recognised as the last clean winner of the TdeF.

Steady - LA is notoriously litigious! :biggrin:

fossyant

Final TT -oh yes up the Frenchies - had the whole family behind me.....

For me the late 80's were fab... like has been said, I've been watching it too long..... Hinault...... The Badger.....

Top Bottom