Lesser known film recommendations.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Odyssey said:
I love that film. Also A very Long Engagement, which is a fairly popular French war/romantic movie. R-Point too - another South Korean war flick but with a bit of an unusual angle. I like war movies...

Have you tried these war-based films ?

9th Company - Russian conscripts' experiences in Afghanistan; based on a true story
Indigenes (Days Of Glory) - French Algerian soldiers in WW2

Abitrary

Static. An absolute darkly hilarious classic:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090069/

"A quirky, out-of-of place worker at a crucifix factory in the Bible Belt invents a device he claims can show pictures of Heaven"

They used to show stuff lots of left field late night on channel 4, what happened???? That's mostly what channel 4 was good for

second Static.

from around that time - Miracle Mile.
also, Diner, Unbelievable Truth, Big Easy, Trust, Simple Men (great slow dance sequence featuring Sonic Youth's 'Kool Thing'), Delicatessen, Wild Targets, the Haidresser's Husband and Il Postino.

Flying_Monkey said:
These are mostly films that I think are pretty normal and mainstream, in fact I even teach some of them... am I pretentious? :sad::rolleyes:

Was that a rhetorical question? ;)

Tampopo- Sex, noodles and general Japanese weirdness. What's not to like.

Not very obscure but whatched Pan's Labyrinth on film 4 again the other night, great film.

simonali

Guru
Flying_Monkey said:
These are mostly films that I think are pretty normal and mainstream, in fact I even teach some of them... am I pretentious? :sad::rolleyes:

I've heard of quite a few of them and I'd definitely not describe myself as some sort of art house film buff, but they're hardly Spider-Man 2 are they? ;)

Tom87

There's been some great recommendations so far.

Anyway, it'd help if you gave more examples of the sort of thing you like, but going from Harold and Maude alone, I can recommend;

Wes Anderson - the earlier the better - Bottle Rocket and especially Rushmore, which I found very similar to Harold and Maude - always uses great soundtracks

Also try Hal Ashby's other films. They're not as quirky as Harold and Maude but The Last Detail is a masterpiece and Bound for Glory is good. Oh yeah and Being There, which is more left-field too.

More great American films from the 70s:

Anything Altman - The Long Goodbye, A Wedding, McCabe and Mrs Miller (great soundtrack too), California Split - Brewster McCloud - similar film with Bud Cort and extremely quirky, obviously a big influence on Magnolia.

-Punishment Park
-Two-Lane Blacktop

Top Bottom