1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesser known film recommendations.

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by red_tom, 10 Apr 2008.

1. red_tom

red_tom New Member

I'm looking for little known screen gems to add to my collection. Any recommendations?

To start things rolling I'll offer

Harold and Maude Funny, very touching, brilliantly acted and a groovy Cat Stevens soundtrack. I've also just noticed it was released the day after I was born. :angry:

2. I liked this - probably my last sortie to the cinema... :angry:

3. Mort

Mort Interstellar Overalls

Harold and Maude was great. It's the kind of thing that would just never be made nowadays. Bud Cort probably wouldn't even get a job as a runner.

(edit)ooh - sorry, forgot to add my suggestion - "Man Bites Dog" (C'est arrivé près de chez vous in the original frog). Just watched it again at the weekend. Bizarre, unsettling and yet extremely funny.

4. Apartment Zero
    Little known cult film from the late 80s and has the blackest of black humour.

5. The Gods must be Crazy. I think it's a South African film from the 1970s. Funny and touching (and, if truth be told, slightly patronising, but hey).

6. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

7. Hilldodger

Hilldodger Über Member

8. Cathryn

Cathryn California Correspondant

A fantastic couple of french films:

1) He loves me, he loves me not
    2) Don't tell anyone (ne le dit a personne)

Wicked films!!

9. beanzontoast

beanzontoast Veteran

Fail Safe. The original with Henry Fonda as the President. A truly disturbing film.

10. yello

yello Guru

'Saratoga Trunk' with Gary Cooper & Ingrid Bergman. Absolutely superb performances all around but the thing I remember most is the sharp as a tack dialogue. Bergman's character is really sassy and she delivers the lines brilliantly. The scenes between her and Cooper sizzle! A great script.

11. DP

DP Chasse patate

A few more suggestions...

"Les Valseuses" - a young Gerard Depardieu shags his way back and forth across France

"Sonatine" - Takeshi Kitano plays a world-weary Yakuza holed up on Okinawa

"Summer with Monica" - an early Bergman classic

"LA Takedown" - Michael Mann's original TV version of the De Niro/Pacino "Heat"; I like this version more than the remake.

12. goo_mason

goo_mason Champion barbed-wire hurdler

13. Flippin' 'eck Goo - I just popped in to post about the Diner des Cons.
    That is one great laugh and I defy anyone not to hold their head in their hands and say 'Arrrggh!' when the 'fall guy' is on the telephone trying to explain stuff...watch it now - it's brilliant!

14. Odyssey

Odyssey New Member

I love that film. Also A very Long Engagement, which is a fairly popular French war/romantic movie. R-Point too - another South Korean war flick but with a bit of an unusual angle. I like war movies...

15. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

Fargo by the Coen Brothers - fascinating accents and black humour.

Fitzcarraldo - madness in the Amazon and Burden of Dreams, the film about the making of Fitzcarraldo.

Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources - tragic, keep a hanky ready, excellent acting.