Lesser known film recommendations.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

red_tom

I'm looking for little known screen gems to add to my collection. Any recommendations?

To start things rolling I'll offer

Harold and Maude Funny, very touching, brilliantly acted and a groovy Cat Stevens soundtrack. I've also just noticed it was released the day after I was born. :angry:

I liked this - probably my last sortie to the cinema... :angry:

yello

'Saratoga Trunk' with Gary Cooper & Ingrid Bergman. Absolutely superb performances all around but the thing I remember most is the sharp as a tack dialogue. Bergman's character is really sassy and she delivers the lines brilliantly. The scenes between her and Cooper sizzle! A great script.

U

User169

A few more suggestions...

"Les Valseuses" - a young Gerard Depardieu shags his way back and forth across France

"Sonatine" - Takeshi Kitano plays a world-weary Yakuza holed up on Okinawa

"Summer with Monica" - an early Bergman classic

"LA Takedown" - Michael Mann's original TV version of the De Niro/Pacino "Heat"; I like this version more than the remake.

Flippin' 'eck Goo - I just popped in to post about the Diner des Cons.
That is one great laugh and I defy anyone not to hold their head in their hands and say 'Arrrggh!' when the 'fall guy' is on the telephone trying to explain stuff...watch it now - it's brilliant!

Odyssey

goo_mason said:
Tae Guk Gi (The Brotherhood of War)

I love that film. Also A very Long Engagement, which is a fairly popular French war/romantic movie. R-Point too - another South Korean war flick but with a bit of an unusual angle. I like war movies...

Globalti

Legendary Member
Fargo by the Coen Brothers - fascinating accents and black humour.

Fitzcarraldo - madness in the Amazon and Burden of Dreams, the film about the making of Fitzcarraldo.

Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources - tragic, keep a hanky ready, excellent acting.

Top Bottom