RIP thread for lesser known people

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Whenever a RIP thread comes up I mark it "Ignore" just as I am now going to do with this thread.

And that's perfectly fine. It's exactly what the ignore thread button is for. I use it for tons of threads that I don't find particularly interesting. It doesn't mean I disapprove of them, just that I don't intend to participate, don't have anything to offer, and don't want them cluttering up my screen. Techniques for bleeding hydro disk brakes? I can't help and I don't have any such brakes so there's nothing useful for me there.

That's why I think the idea of this thread is a bit silly. If you personally don't find an RIP person important enough, just press the button and bingo, the thread disappears.
Otherwise we end up with loads of RIP threads for people few have ever heard of or remember.
And why is this a problem? If you've never heard of them, just click the button and move on. Let other people who have heard of them join in and share memories and so on.

Last edited:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
The individual RIP threads are sometimes the first I hear of someone's death. I'm not switched on to the media as much as some people so I often see "RIP xyz" on here and think "oh I hadn't heard that". I usually don't feel the need to read more than the title. If I have feelings about that person I don't necessarily need to share them with anyone else.

So a general RIP thread won't be as useful to me unless I put a watch on it. But that doesn't mean there shouldn't be one if other people want to use it.

AndyRM

XOXO
Why shout?
There are a whole host of threads started here every week that I have no interest in. I'm pretty sure it's of no benefit to me to jump in demanding to know why the OP started it. It's also not particularly polite.

Really?
You're not aware of anyone who has died that still holds some influence, some inspiration for you? No-one?
You don't read books written by people now dead? Or watch movies written, directed or acted by people now dead? You don't listen to any great songs sung by people now dead? You don't remember anyone you know who has died? Really?

Popping into every thread you disapprove of to record your total disinterest must be very rewarding. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure quite why death/RIP threads seem to draw in so many people who fundamentally disagree with them. I don't think I'd last long around here if I dropped into the Zwift threads to be critical of the concept or regularly posted that the TdF was a farce on the appropriate thread.

Then there's the subject matter. It's death, folks. If ever there was a time for a bit of kindness that would be it.
Think discs are better than rim brakes? Knock your socks off. Think helmets and hi-viz should be the law? Go for it. Think Garmin is better than Wahoo? Write your epistle.
Whatever our differences, death comes to us all. Affects us all.
If ever there was a subject deserving of a modicum of respect, of kindness, of generosity of spirit this would be it, no?

Considering derrick's latest thread is about a caravan battery or something (I don't know why, but it came up as recommended - apparently he got nowt out of caravanning forums so why he thought he'd fare better here is beyond me), it's a bit rich questioning this one, which I happen to think is a good idea.

Completely agree with the rest of your post.

RIP the friendly and supportive nature of this forum. It will be greatly missed! :laugh:

Out of respect I did not shout! I might press ignore afte reading my post ut that is perfectly OK.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Considering derrick's latest thread is about a caravan battery or something (I don't know why, but it came up as recommended - apparently he got nowt out of caravanning forums so why he thought he'd fare better here is beyond me), it's a bit rich questioning this one, which I happen to think is a good idea.

Completely agree with the rest of your post.

You are welcome to your comment, i ask a simple question , why. if you don't like it fine, ignore it.

AndyRM

XOXO
You are welcome to your comment, i ask a simple question , why. if you don't like it fine, ignore it.

Like you could have ignored this thread, you mean?

Some flippant comments are funny (I haven't got a TV, for example) but ones like "Never heard of them" or "Who cares, they're dead" always seem in poor taste to me. Someone's clearly posted an RIP thread for a reason, so why bother commenting if it means nothing to you?

I dunno, maybe I just don't get it.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Like you could have ignored this thread, you mean?

Some flippant comments are funny (I haven't got a TV, for example) but ones like "Never heard of them" or "Who cares, they're dead" always seem in poor taste to me. Someone's clearly posted an RIP thread for a reason, so why bother commenting if it means nothing to you?

I dunno, maybe I just don't get it.

That's fine, i don't have a problem with that.

AndyRM

XOXO
I figured Blake Harrison is likely unknown to most people on here. Sound designer for Pig Destroyer and numerous other underground bands.

I saw Pig Destroyer just last week (he wasn't part of the tour) so it's a bit of a shock to hear that he's gone to the big gig in the sky.

He was only 48.

AndyRM

XOXO
Lesser known perhaps, though not in the art world, Richard Serra has passed on. The scale of his work is something to behold, pictures don't really do it justice but you get the idea.

https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...e-artist-life-in-pictures-bio-artworks-career

Top Bottom