Lesson learnt!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Thorn Sherpa

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
A lesson is not learnt until a change (in this case, the rider checking they are carrying essential items) is made. Till then it's a 'lesson identified'.
Drove past (then stopped and went back), a guy yesterday who was sitting by the road, bike on the ground. He had had a puncture, had replaced the tube, only to find that one 'failed'. I didn't have my bike with me so could not solve that and "his missus was coming out to pick [him] up" so he refused my offer of a lift.
Add patches to his check list, perhaps.
Believe me I'll be making sure before each trip out that all the essentials are with me when I head out. I'm just thankful it happened firstly after I'd finished work and secondly not on a ride out miles from home or a train station for that matter! Silly mistake on my part :blush: At least you offered him assistance not a single soul stopped for me but there again 6am there wasn't that many people about to be fair!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Once i was riding to work mid winter when i hit a pothole and got punctures front and back, only 1 tube so i changed that , tried to mend the front but it was so cold the glue was not working properly .
Had to phone mrs to pick me up or face a similar walk , no buses or trains to catch though .
Another time i had been hearing a cracking/ creak noise from the BB area but kept riding when the left crank arm sheared off.

OP
OP
Thorn Sherpa

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
Once i was riding to work mid winter when i hit a pothole and got punctures front and back, only 1 tube so i changed that , tried to mend the front but it was so cold the glue was not working properly .
Had to phone mrs to pick me up or face a similar walk , no buses or trains to catch though .
Another time i had been hearing a cracking/ creak noise from the BB area but kept riding when the left crank arm sheared off.
The last time I had a failure was the back rim on a Tange framed early 90's Saracen I had before I got the Sherpa. Similar scenario to yours with the pothole, I was heading downhill on the last stretch to work and hit a pothole when I had to move over suddenly for a car pulling out of a junction. I hit it at some speed and the tyre just instantly went, amazingly managed to keep on the bike and slid to a halt! I wheeled the bike the last couple hundred of metres to work and waited till my break expecting it just to be a puncture only to find the sidewall on one side of the rim completely ruined! After a phone call my grandad kindly came in the estate car and took me home after the shift!

Top Bottom