Let me tell you a story.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
Ladies and gentlemen.Make a brew get come chocolate or some cake,put your feet up and let me tell you a story.A story of intrigue,lies,deception,and untruths,and finally the truth that won the day.
I set the story.My son has been living with two of his mates in a beautiful town house in Manchester.Sadly his two pals have finished Uni and have moved on.The tenancy finishes this coming Monday.Our son has met and has a girlfriend.They wish to stay in Manchester till December so he can finish his Masters.
So we say yes will will stand your bond on a new flat.
So after some searching he finds a lovely flat on a letting agents site.
Now weird things happen,sorry you cannot go and see it,but we will send you a video a description and four photographs.
The video did not arrive with the email,the photos must have been shot in the dark.The flat on the web page looks stunning.There are asked to sign up for a contract.The flat is described as luxury living in Salford Quays with unrivalled views from a balcony.
So when they are allowed to see it,once the agent has got £1500 off Postman and Mrs Postman.Son and girlfriend find the following.
A filthy flat 25 points of cocern,despite the covid virus stopping them from visiting no cleaning as been done.When son and girlfriend say fithly it must be filthy.Photos do not match flat,description states balcony,there is no balcony.There are no opening on the widows and only one entry and exit door.
This is not the flat as advertised,oh yes it is and you have signed a contract,suck it up is the attitude.
Well enter Mrs Postman.E mails fly backward and forward,agents not budging.So we get a solicitor,online cost £44.Best £44 ever spent.Mrs Postman is given legislation ,which is forwarded to letting agents 11-00 Tuesday,Wednesday agents have folded like a newspaper.We are now waiting for our money back.Keys were handed back today,without son even entering flat since viewing.Agents state they will have to do a inspection,well they never inspeted the tenant leaving cos the place was a sheet hole.Son photographed everything for the solicitor incase it went further.
Mr and Mrs P looked at reviews about said letting agent and they are crap.Children playing grown up games of property,all young twenty year olds,firm has a massive staff turnover.Son now out of their clutches and is looking a t another privately owned flat bigger but same rent.
Lessons learned for son,do homework first before putting pen to paper.

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Sadly there are unscrupulous letting agents like these; some of my students have signed with them despite advice to use a vetted agent.

My eldest is letting a room from a house owned by one of his course-mates: no issues or concerns and with only a £400 bond for a decent house and lovely room.

Drago

Legendary Member
If it is genuinely, significantly not as described the the contract was offered on false terms and is void. Seek the advice of a law type person if you ever find yourself in that position.

https://hallellis.co.uk/misrepresentation-negligent-innocent-fraud/#:~:text=There are legal consequences when,of the contract and damages.

Grief like this is one of the reasons I waited a few years and did my Masters through the OU so I could live a relatively normal life in the meantime and not get ripped off by any passing shyster, but that doesn't work for everyone.

Last edited:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Ladies and gentlemen.Make a brew get come chocolate or some cake,put your feet up and let me tell you a story.A story of intrigue,lies,deception,and untruths,and finally the truth that won the day.
I set the story.My son has been living with two of his mates in a beautiful town house in Manchester.Sadly his two pals have finished Uni and have moved on.The tenancy finishes this coming Monday.Our son has met and has a girlfriend.They wish to stay in Manchester till December so he can finish his Masters.
So we say yes will will stand your bond on a new flat.
So after some searching he finds a lovely flat on a letting agents site.
Now weird things happen,sorry you cannot go and see it,but we will send you a video a description and four photographs.
The video did not arrive with the email,the photos must have been shot in the dark.The flat on the web page looks stunning.There are asked to sign up for a contract.The flat is described as luxury living in Salford Quays with unrivalled views from a balcony.
So when they are allowed to see it,once the agent has got £1500 off Postman and Mrs Postman.Son and girlfriend find the following.
A filthy flat 25 points of cocern,despite the covid virus stopping them from visiting no cleaning as been done.When son and girlfriend say fithly it must be filthy.Photos do not match flat,description states balcony,there is no balcony.There are no opening on the widows and only one entry and exit door.
This is not the flat as advertised,oh yes it is and you have signed a contract,suck it up is the attitude.
Well enter Mrs Postman.E mails fly backward and forward,agents not budging.So we get a solicitor,online cost £44.Best £44 ever spent.Mrs Postman is given legislation ,which is forwarded to letting agents 11-00 Tuesday,Wednesday agents have folded like a newspaper.We are now waiting for our money back.Keys were handed back today,without son even entering flat since viewing.Agents state they will have to do a inspection,well they never inspeted the tenant leaving cos the place was a sheet hole.Son photographed everything for the solicitor incase it went further.
Mr and Mrs P looked at reviews about said letting agent and they are crap.Children playing grown up games of property,all young twenty year olds,firm has a massive staff turnover.Son now out of their clutches and is looking a t another privately owned flat bigger but same rent.
Lessons learned for son,do homework first before putting pen to paper.
Well done!
Mr and Mrs Postie: 1, Letting Agent: 0 [own goal]

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
Just thirty mins ago.Mrs P has had an email from agents they will refund the money after doing an inspection.Mrs P has just hit the roof,pointing out son never moved in,read all the e mails.Twenty four hours after viewing flat son e mailed 25 photos with dates on photos,pointing out problems.These people are idiots of the first order.The e mailed returned by Mrs P was on fire,stop messing about or words to that effect or we face you in small claims court,where we WILL claim for costs.Mrs P is not afraid of a small claims court,after appearing in Crown Court many times as a Police officer.These people are children playing adult property games.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
In a consumer survey a while back, letting/estate agents were vying with used car salesmen for the honour of shysters number 1.

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
Just back from Manchester.Moving stuff out of town house.Back here cos of the crap flat not being suitable.Son and girlfriend bought Mrs P two bottles of beer and a card,I got a miniature whisky.Very nice gesture.They are waiting for a call from another agent,after being interviewed by the tenant herself.It seems she likes them,could move in 1st August.The lady is going abroad for a while,these agents are a small family run firm.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Very pleased to read your money will be returned but signing a contract and stumping up £1500 before a viewing is frankly crackers.

I've helped two of my sons this way but I would never let them have the deposit until they had viewed the property. The warning signs were there to be seen......

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
Very pleased to read your money will be returned but signing a contract and stumping up £1500 before a viewing is frankly crackers.

I've helped two of my sons this way but I would never let them have the deposit until they had viewed the property. The warning signs were there to be seen......
They had no option.The vivid virus was used as an excuse.We would have queried it.But the agents did not even clean the flat.So how hygienic was it.Anyway they were not going to get one over them,once Mrs P found out.

Top Bottom