Letdown Gloves - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
I bought a pair of Altura Hurricane gloves s a few years ago and have hardly used them, preferring to wait until my other various pairs of gloves had worn out. I'd previously used a pair of Altura Tempest gloves with much success for several years until they were past their best. I used said Hurricane gloves last week and was rained on for the entire twelve mile commute home and despite being made using Sympatex, these gloves were literally soaked through by the time I was home and I wasn't impressed - ! Despite being used only on a couple of previous occasions in the past and otherwise being stored 'in a cool dry place', could they have deteriorated to the extent of being useless as a waterproof glove I wonder - ? :whistle:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've been unimpressed by a few; a pair of expensive Sealskinz, two different pairs of RH+ and others.

Galibier and Shutt Velo Rapide are good, plus RSP ones are decent but cheap.

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
I have a pair of Aldi hi-viz gloves which appear to be pretty good at keeping the rain out, but my issue is Raynauds and they're not warm enough, even with liner gloves, to stop my hands getting cold in the winter months. I've tried many makes and types of glove / mitt, but all have failed to maintain the warmth level in my fingers even after about twenty minutes into my commute. :cold: Problem is that what works for one person doen't work for another and with gloves at around £20 + a time, it's not easy to keep spending out on something that probably won't work for me. :whistle:

Reactions: gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
I have a pair of Aldi hi-viz gloves which appear to be pretty good at keeping the rain out, but my issue is Raynauds and they're not warm enough, even with liner gloves, to stop my hands getting cold in the winter months. I've tried many makes and types of glove / mitt, but all have failed to maintain the warmth level in my fingers even after about twenty minutes into my commute. :cold: Problem is that what works for one person doen't work for another and with gloves at around £20 + a time, it's not easy to keep spending out on something that probably won't work for me. :whistle:
I used to be pretty much the same, never really found a combo that worked and gawld knows, I tried many many combos.. Winter gloves up to £50, waste of time. Feet are pretty much the same. One thing I tried was keeping the arms and legs well insulated, no good having 'good' gloves if the heat loss through the limbs is greater.
It's difficult for someone who doesn't suffer from the cold to comprehend how bad it is, even with equipment they find quite satisfactory. Hot aches, I suffered so bad I'd be hunched up in excruciating pain 10 minutes after getting in.

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
Indeed, Raynauds affects different folk different ways. For some unfortunates, even getting something out of the freezer can trigger it. :cry:
I've had the fingers / toes problem as long as I can remember and I'm 67 - ! I'm currently dusting anything savory with a mixture of chilli / paprika / ginger & tumeric on the basis that apparently it improves circulation. Too early to judge if it's effective, but an inexpensive experiment. :whistle:

geocycle

Legendary Member
I’m a big Gore fan but I bought some infinium gloves which are way too thin for me. Feel like just wearing a waterproof with little or no padding and insulation. Will keep in reserve for the warmer end of spring and autumn.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Re the Altura gloves I feel it's harsh to dismiss them as useless if they've lived in a cupboard for years. There's no such thing as a waterproof glove but......

It's possible to buy gloves with waterproof mitts attached and these do work.

As for keeping hands warm? Disposable plastic gloves of the sort found on service station forecourts worn under the main gloves will keep hands dry and warm.

Feet? I have tried everything over the years. The only real solution is quality winter boots. I've resisted for years but in 2019 finally invested £130 in a pair of Fizik boots. Since then my feet have been dry and warm on every winter ride. Wish I'd done it 10 years ago.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
@cyberknight has Raynauds and commutes all seasons so might be able to tell you what works for him.
when its really cold i have poggies
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-RockB...646841?hash=item23e9a34579:g:FsUAAOSwH~Rf1vtO

I have found the "magic gloves " they sell in corner hops pretty good as liner gloves to under the aldi gloves, i found night vison gloves pretty crap for cold and warmth .
decathlon winter gloves are pretty good , i have heard of people using ski gloves but i find them too bulk for road bike shifters

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Have you tried shelled fibre pile mitts?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
If it's very cold and wet I use an old pair of skiing gloves which my son got from BHS when he was a teenager [he's 32 now!].

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Sealskinz truly suck, they keep niether wind nor water out, nor do they keep body warmth in. But having said that I've not yet found a properly waterproof and warm glove... Decathlon's best (800 series?) are very warm and at least very water resistant so they've been the best I've found so far. When it hoofs it down there are leaks, but I can deal with that until someone finds the perfect glove.

Top Bottom