Letdown Gloves - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
starting with warm hands helps a lot for me, if my hands are cold before i start its sheer agony , last club ride i got cold standing outside the cake stop and it took a good 15 miles to get my hands working properly again .

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Neoprene gloves proved the biggest let down for me. Supposedly good at maintaining warmth in wet conditions, I found the opposite - as soon as they got wet, the wind chill from the moving bike sucked all the heat out of my digits. Freezing!

I find multiple thin layers works best for me rather than a single heavy layer as each layer traps the heat. My current favourite gloves are a pair of decathlon ones which are long finger gloves and then a pull over mitten which has a foil liner. They don’t sell them online so can’t include a link.

If it is really cold I go for a pair of ski liner gloves too, again from decathlon and cost £2.00

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
Have you tried shelled fibre pile mitts?
I've used mitts and 'lobster claw' mitts, but the problem is getting the cuffs tucked into the sleeeve ends of my jacket. The reduced dexterity because of the 'lack of fingers' makes it an awkward task. If the cuffs are left outside the sleeve ends, obviously when it rains, the water channels down the sleeves into the gloves. :angry:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
when its really cold i have poggies
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-RockB...646841?hash=item23e9a34579:g:FsUAAOSwH~Rf1vtO

I have found the "magic gloves " they sell in corner hops pretty good as liner gloves t
o under the aldi gloves, i found night vison gloves pretty crap for cold and warmth .
decathlon winter gloves are pretty good , i have heard of people using ski gloves but i find them too bulk for road bike shifters

+10 for this one, I've used them for years. Mostly under a pair of summer mitts when autumn and spring temperatures are too low for summer gloves. Also great in light rain as they dry very quickly.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The most effective gloves I have found for really cold weather, are waterproof industrial gloves designed for hand protection not cycling. In anything but near-freezing conditions they are horrible; they stink and they make your hands sweat - but they seem effective at reducing wind chill. In warmer conditions I either wear Lidl's fingerless "Crivit" branded cycling gloves or thinner industrial woven work gloves with PVC coated palms, intended to maintain manual dexterity.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I couldn't find a link yesterday. I was out for two hours in "feels like" 1⁰C and very strong headwind. With the yellow outer on my hands were toasty warm throughout. They definitely waterproof with the covers in place, I've done more than a couple of hours in rain on several occasions and had dry hands on my return home.

The opening is tight on the wrist and pulling a double cuff over is easy.

No idea if still available.
Chiba Express Plus

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
Never found any Sealskinz gloves to be particularly good.
Altura Summit.I bought a pair about 2 years ago on the strength that the pair I used for MTBing a few years ago were brilliant.100% waterproof and kept fingertips warm even on a very chilly -10 ride up Hellvelyn in the Lakes.The new ones were next to useless as 'waterproof' gloves.Soaked in about 5 mins and not at all warm.
These days I just use Neoprene gloves.They work for me but I no longer MTB in -10 temps:stop:

Top Bottom