Lets Talk Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have been looking for some new tyres for my Specialized Roubaix to use in the on roads, gravel and farm tracks. I ride with tubes and use 32c tyres.

I had been using Panaracer Gravelkings SK during the winter and they held up well with only a couple of punctures. As we moved into Spring I changed to Panatacer Gravel Kings SS. I found them to be awful. They cut up and punctured at every opportunity.

I then asked on The Pan Celtic Facebook page and someone suggested Pirelli Cinturato Velo tyres. I had never heard of them and after a little research decided to give them a try.

My first impression was that they look very narrow for 32c tyres. Maybe because there is very little tread and look almost like slicks. Their first run out was on a 155km gravel ride in Denmark. Totally unsuitable for riding on rough gravel, mile after mile. But that was the plan. Try and destroy them. At the end of the day I was very suprised. No punctures, no cuts, no loss of pressure. It was not comfortable riding but they certainly did the job. The big bonus is that they roll very well on tarmac and hard packed dirt.

If you are looking for a touring tyre that is much better rolling than a Marathon Plus. This is worth a look. In my opinion.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
20230421_154404.jpg

20230422_075518.jpg

T4tomo

Guru
As we moved into Spring I changed to Panatacer Gravel Kings SS. I found them to be awful. They cut up and punctured at every opportunity.

I assume that was the regular version, which has that reputation?
The 'plus' version has beefed up the protection with a kelvar band.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I assume that was the regular version, which has that reputation?
The 'plus' version has beefed up the protection with a kelvar band.

I will check when I get home. I was suprised as I like the SKs. I will be sticking with these Pirellis though.

T4tomo

Guru
I will check when I get home. I was suprised as I like the SKs. I will be sticking with these Pirellis though.

thank.

Yes as a road / commuting /touring tyre The cinturatos get very good reviews, I think its @rivers of this parish who runs them and raves about them.

I'm hoping your SS's were the "non plus" version, as I have a set of the plus/+ version about to go on the OH's gravel bike, mine has been running SK +'s for a while now.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Just reading this, l’ve had Marathons on my work/do-it-all bike for over 3 years
(Durano DD before that)
They’re better rolling than l thought they’d be
Plus they cope admirably with muddy conditions!
This is about their limit though!

View attachment 687112

Is that the Marathon Plus?

I used to have those on a lot of my bikes, especially winter bikes. Great for puncture protection but slow.

rivers

How far can I go?
thank.

Yes as a road / commuting /touring tyre The cinturatos get very good reviews, I think its @rivers of this parish who runs them and raves about them.

I'm hoping your SS's were the "non plus" version, as I have a set of the plus/+ version about to go on the OH's gravel bike, mine has been running SK +'s for a while now.

I would stick with the pirellis. I swapped them out for a different tyre once they wore out, and regretted it. My winter bike is also my gravel bike so running gravel tyres now until winter. I'll be buying another set of cinturatos come the end of summer.

Is that the Marathon Plus?

I used to have those on a lot of my bikes, especially winter bikes. Great for puncture protection but slow.
I think they’re the ‘Plus’

That said, l have ridden in that much mud on Duranos, but had issues on the little off-camber climb at the other end of that route home

13 rider

Guru
I LBS recommended Pirelli Cinturato to me . My rear wheel has done 6000 miles and is just about to be changed . I do run them tubeless and have had no punctures it that time . Certainly it's not a gravel tyre as you found it will do it . Very good all round tyre good puncture protection and good rolling resistance .
Have you considered tubeless ? ,Would allow you to run lower pressures and get a bit more comfort . May be too big a change before a big event if your happy with tubes and your ability to fix on the go rather than figuring out tubeless on the fly

Top Bottom