Let's visit the bike path !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
In some parts of the States, the speed limit is 55, but in my part I think it is 70 on interstate highways. It used to be 55 everywhere, during and after the gas crisis of the 70's, but now varies. Massachusetts is 65 in rural areas, 55 urban. Some states are 75.

OP
OP
Zipp2001

Zipp2001

Veteran
What bit of MA? I'm a Worcester native myself (and now live in the UK). Looks like a nice bit of path.

I'm in Winchendon (Central Mass) near Gardner, and I know Worcester quite well. I ride out on the airport hills all the time and visit George Street every time I'm out there. I also work in the 5th hilliest city in the US (Fitchburg) so even though I'm a Clydesdale I still like to play on hills.

OP
OP
Zipp2001

Zipp2001

Veteran
In some parts of the States, the speed limit is 55, but in my part I think it is 70 on interstate highways. It used to be 55 everywhere, during and after the gas crisis of the 70's, but now varies. Massachusetts is 65 in rural areas, 55 urban. Some states are 75.

Route 140 which is the road I was on is 50 mph but if your doing the speed limit you will be passed like your standing still. The major highway in the region rte. 2 is 65 mph.

Didn't know there was an airport at Worcester, and I thought a Clydesdale was a shire horse? I will assume Worcester is another English town name which has been used in USA? I thought for years the song King of the road when it said Bangor Main was referring to a railway station in Wales, since the town had two stations the big one was called Bangor Main. Clearly I was wrong. Bangor is it seems a popular town name at least 3 in UK, two north Wales and one in Ulster.

I find it interesting learning things we have not picked up from US TV.

hoopdriver

Guru
Same here, speed limit may be 60 MPH but people do far more, they did try speed cameras but people soon worked out where they were, and even mobile cameras they park in regular spots, the average speed cameras do seem to be working a bit better, but not so many of them.

So is Highway in USA what we call Motorway in the UK?
No. Our Motorway would be the equivalent of their Interstate. What they call a highway, we would call an A-road

rivers

How far can I go?
No. Our Motorway would be the equivalent of their Interstate. What they call a highway, we would call an A-road

It actually depends on the state... in MA, a highway is the motorway, some states it's the freeway. roads that are similar to A-roads are referred to by their route name (IE route 66, route 20, rt 146, rt 2, etc)

rivers

How far can I go?
Didn't know there was an airport at Worcester, and I thought a Clydesdale was a shire horse? I will assume Worcester is another English town name which has been used in USA? I thought for years the song King of the road when it said Bangor Main was referring to a railway station in Wales, since the town had two stations the big one was called Bangor Main. Clearly I was wrong. Bangor is it seems a popular town name at least 3 in UK, two north Wales and one in Ulster.

I find it interesting learning things we have not picked up from US TV.

It's not very big. Up until fairly recently, there were only private planes that flew out of there. Now I think there are a couple of flights to Florida and maybe a few other places. It's by no means a hub.
And there is also a Bangor, in the state of Maine

rivers

How far can I go?
I'm in Winchendon (Central Mass) near Gardner, and I know Worcester quite well. I ride out on the airport hills all the time and visit George Street every time I'm out there. I also work in the 5th hilliest city in the US (Fitchburg) so even though I'm a Clydesdale I still like to play on hills.

I know that bit of the state pretty well. I have friends who lived in Gardner, Leominster, Fitchburg areas, spent many a winter at Wachusett. Also, I used to visit Whalom Park as a kid.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I thought a Clydesdale was a shire horse?
In the States, a male rider 200+ pounds is referred to as a Clydesdale. Women,same, referred as Athenas.

OP
OP
Zipp2001

Zipp2001

Veteran
I know that bit of the state pretty well. I have friends who lived in Gardner, Leominster, Fitchburg areas, spent many a winter at Wachusett. Also, I used to visit Whalom Park as a kid.

Spend a lot of my youth at Whalom Park, and was born and raised in Leominster. I would guess I've cycled up Wachusett well over 100 times.

Top Bottom