Letting neighbours kid borrow lads old bike ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I'd love to know how you can extract that. So much stuff my 5yo gets, from school, presents, TV, books is pink pink pink. To say it has no influence is hard to imagine.
does it matter ? she wants it painting pink dont need to get your knickers in a twist.

Shaun

Founder
Do you think giving him some sense of "ownership" might make him take better care of it, or does he trash his own stuff too?

Take it apart (not too much), tell him it is broken but can be easily fixed if he wants to keep it afterwards, then invite him round to help you "fix" it. Without being obvious, get him to do most of the work, give him some positive encouragement as he puts it back together, so that when it is "fixed" he's got a sense of achievement and feels it is more his than just any old bike to be chucked around and abused?

You know him better than we do, so it might not work and he might just be one of those kids who doesn't respect stuff, but if you're thinking about letting him have it anyway, it could be worth a try.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Do you think giving him some sense of "ownership" might make him take better care of it, or does he trash his own stuff too?

Take it apart (not too much), tell him it is broken but can be easily fixed if he wants to keep it afterwards, then invite him round to help you "fix" it. Without being obvious, get him to do most of the work, give him some positive encouragement as he puts it back together, so that when it is "fixed" he's got a sense of achievement and feels it is more his than just any old bike to be chucked around and abused?

You know him better than we do, so it might not work and he might just be one of those kids who doesn't respect stuff, but if you're thinking about letting him have it anyway, it could be worth a try.
To small for him , its a 16 " wheeled bike and he needs at least a 20 " , and no he doesnt respect stuff , even just walks into our house without asking .

Top Bottom