Leveling out a Megarange freewheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ren531

Über Member
My Dawes Street Cruiser has a Megarange freewheel that i was finding a bit lacking in a good spread of gears, it was 7 speed 14-24 and then the big jump to 34 for bottom gear, so found an old Shimano 5 speed freewheel with a 28 tooth sprocket and had a go at improving it by swaping sprockets around. The Megarange has a lock ring that unscrews anticlockwise, had to use a hammer and punch to undo that and the old 5 speeds outer sprocket unscrewed again anticlockwise, could not move it using 2 chain whips so had heat it up with a blowtorch to move it, that also melted the plastic spacers but i didnt need those anyway and with a tiny bit of filing the 28tooth sprocket went on to the Megarange freewheel no problem, removing the third largest sprocket 22 tooth and replacing it with the 24 tooth original second largest and replacing that with the old 28 tooth, so it goes 14,_,_,_24,28,34 cant remember the sprocket sizes in the blank spaces but you get the idea
IMG_20200503_172342.jpg

IMG_20200503_184353.jpg

Putting it back together i filed out the lock ring so that a C spanner could tighten it back up and a it works a treat far better usable spread of gears changes not as crisp but still very good. You can see the 28 tooth sprocket in the photo its has a slightly different colour and profile and is the second largest sprocket

Top Bottom