Lewes to Eastbourne

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbs

Guru
Will the obvious direct route on the A27 be bearable on a Saturday afternoon? All views welcome.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I can't bear Sussex nobber A-road drivers myself. So I go all manner of long ways around on lanes. NCN2 goes off road and can be a bit muddy thobut.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Will the obvious direct route on the A27 be bearable on a Saturday afternoon? All views welcome.
Definitely not - or some it for sure. It's fast and dangerous and not very wide after Charleston.
There's a good cycle path from the roundabout south of the Cuifail tunnel, alongside the A27 for a few miles. Then you are best advised to cut inland on Burgh Lane, and wiggle thru the lanes - Firlelane, Langtye Lane, Lwr Wick St, Stationrd and back to the A27.
Then you're buggered and would have to dice with death to Polegate, or head south and flog up and over Cuckmere, East Dean and Beachy Head on the A259.
Or get a train from Berwick Station.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I've gone Ringmer - Laughton - Golden Cross (where it gets a bit shoot on the A22) - Hailsham - Stone Cross when visiting mates in Hampden Park
&
glynde - upper dicker and then legged it over the A22DC and into Hailsham

Me no like A259

If you need to take the direct route between Lewes and Eastbourne, there must be a urgent need, if that the case use the train. If there is no hurry or urgency, then head north and wiggle your way through the back lanes to Hailsham, then down to Eastbourne.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Me no like A259
No, but, you can cycle from Brighton to the east side of Seaford without actually doing more than a short section on the main road. Then a pretty diversion via Birling gap and Beachy Head and you can roll down into E'bourne on the beautifully named Paradise Drive!

Top Bottom