LF2 Alternatives

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nylontoestraps

Hi there,

Had been planning a trip on the LF2 from Brussels to Amsterdam as a delayed 30th birthday adventure. Now the route has been discontinued I'm looking for information on alternative routes/maps. I'm assuming the cycle paths are still in situ but unsure as to whether they are operable.

Any help is greatly appreciated !

should be possible to find the gpx on the web surely?

There are various sites for routes.

This says you have to be signed in to get it:

https://www.biroto.eu/en/cycle-route/europe/stadteroute/rt00000420

Or just chuck some stuff into:

https://cycle.travel/map

I find its routes preferable to just slavishly following signed routes - it uses them sometimes, hops off where it sees what it thinks is a better route.

That could be a fantastic trip!
I'd second @Blue Hills suggestion of using cycletravel although it has a natural tendency to avoid towns.

If using a gps it can help greatly with the rare hidden or misplaced signs. If not, don't worry. Check the direction you're going also has a sign pointing back to where you came from.

There's a multitude of interesting things to see (and do) between those places. A suggestion would be to link the places or things that interest you rather than slavishly follow a route.

If you have a smartphone I'd also suggest getting to grips with Osmand. It's a very reliable (back up) planner and works offline.

You've picked a great area to explore on a bike! You could even forego a route and just follow your nose! The cycling is that blissful!

You don't say if camping or not? There are lots and lots of great campsites that are well used to wandering cyclists pulling in at the end of the day.

Have a great trip!

I'd second @Blue Hills suggestion of using cycletravel although it has a natural tendency to avoid towns.

If using a gps it can help greatly with the rare hidden or misplaced signs. If not, don't worry. Check the direction you're going also has a sign pointing back to where you came from.

There's a multitude of interesting things to see (and do) between those places. A suggestion would be to link the places or things that interest you rather than slavishly follow a route.

If you have a smartphone I'd also suggest getting to grips with Osmand. It's a very reliable (back up) planner and works offline.

You've picked a great area to explore on a bike! You could even forego a route and just follow your nose! The cycling is that blissful!

You don't say if camping or not? There are lots and lots of great campsites that are well used to wandering cyclists pulling in at the end of the day.

Have a great trip!
didn't realise that patch was so interesting, indeed blissful, hobbes.
sounds like you know it intimately.
What would you say the opportunities were like for free camping?

I used to live 5 minutes from the Belgian border in southern NL. I've cycled all over there.

Free camping is illegal in NL (except for designated "pall" or pole camping sites of which there are a handful. In Belgium there may be more possibilities but in a semi-post Covid world and with so many proper, good and cheap camp sites I think it would be foolish.

I used to live 5 minutes from the Belgian border in southern NL. I've cycled all over there.

Free camping is illegal in NL (except for designated "pall" or pole camping sites of which there are a handful. In Belgium there may be more possibilities but in a semi-post Covid world and with so many proper, good and cheap camp sites I think it would be foolish.

OP
OP
N

nylontoestraps

Take a look here: https://www.routeyou.com/nl-be/rout...brussel-amsterdam-langs-de-mooiste-fietswegen
The cycle paths are all still place, just that the Dutch have decided to stop supporting/maintaining many of their LF routes (more info here) owing to the success of the "Junction routes" (knopenpuntenroutes in Dutch).

Thanks very much, most helpful. Really want to take advantage of the cycle network so wasn't sure if the routes I was being suggested were suitable, having looked at the junction routes link I've got a much better understanding. If anybody has experience of good routes would love to hear them. Looking to do about 100km a day for 3 days, Brussels to Amsterdam.

All the best :smile:

OP
OP
N

nylontoestraps

Have a great trip!

Thanks ! As soon as I heard about the thousands of kilometres of cycle paths I had to go. This will be a delayed covid event so raring to go now. Have discussed camping but I think that's for next time, this will be our first multi day trip so keeping it as easy and as lightweight as possible. Is the road cycling outside of the cities decent as well or are the cycle paths the best bet ? Cheers :smile:

Thanks ! As soon as I heard about the thousands of kilometres of cycle paths I had to go. This will be a delayed covid event so raring to go now. Have discussed camping but I think that's for next time, this will be our first multi day trip so keeping it as easy and as lightweight as possible. Is the road cycling outside of the cities decent as well or are the cycle paths the best bet ? Cheers :smile:

Cycle paths all over Holland are more than decent. If anything the paths in the cities are worse. The signposts for LF2 will.probably still be in place by the way. We live near two LF routes that are being allowed to fall into disrepair (the 4 and the 9) and they are still signposted. The powers that be are probably waiting for souvenir hunters to remove them.

Enjoy your trip.

https://images.app.goo.gl/VThdvq7NPfRzzyMRA

Last edited:

good to know that there are cheap campsites that way - in the UK there are some bonkers prices being asked by some places for one person turning up on a bike. So for inbetween nights I sometimes freecamp, or if a trip turns a bit unpredictable.
I wouldn't have freecamped in deep lockdown/plague (I didn't) but I don't see any problem these days. How can i be any more of a threat to anyone camping in an isolated wood than popping in a shop, taking a train/bus? Surely folks on bikes in the open air are less of a threat than pretty much anyone?

i did though have the idea that NL wasn't too practical for freecamping - donkey's years ago I went to Amsterdam on my Vespa - after a couple of days there I had the idea to head of finto the "wilds" and kip out somewhere on the way. Plan came to nowt when I realised that in vast tracts of the place I could be seen from miles away.

. Is the road cycling outside of the cities decent as well or are the cycle paths the best bet ? Cheers :smile:
As already said you won't be doing much cycling on the road. There are cycle paths everywhere and if available you're expected to use them. Traffic won't be shy about letting you know^_^.

Because you're on paths you shouldn't count too much on high speed travel, some of the paths can become quite congested depending on location, time etc.

I've no idea of your cycling fitness but three 100km days in a row can be a lot if you're not used to it. Since it's your first tour I'd encourage you to give yourselves lots of time. A mechanical, bad weather, going a bit off course can all lead to pressure. Of course, the great advantage over there is that you can always hop on a train to make up time.

If you do a search of the forum using the right keywords you'll find lots of info from previous threads.

I can understand the urge to follow a route, especially for a first timer, but in all honesty Belgium & NL are probably the easiest places to cycle. Depending on your likes, interests and preferences you could make up your own route that will be equal in quality to an existing one.

Good luck!

grldtnr

Cycle paths all over Holland are more than decent. If anything the paths in the cities are worse. The signposts for LF2 will.probably still be in place by the way. We live near two LF routes that are being allowed to fall into disrepair (the 4 and the 9) and they are still signposted. The powers that be are probably waiting for souvenir hunters to remove them.

Enjoy your trip.

https://images.app.goo.gl/VThdvq7NPfRzzyMRA
The old LF routes 4 and 9 being left to lie fallow, that does surprise me, the Dutch having fought hard for the benefits of cycletracks, to then let them crumble away, I wouldn't have thought they would, I have cycled many times over there and been impressed how tidy everything is.
If the OP doesn't camp , there is an organisation called Vreienden ops Defiets, basically an organisation that allows members to stay the night as guests, with breakfast for across board price of € 15, it might be a little more,it's run as a reciprocal basis, mbers open up their homes, to fellow riders, but it isn't necessary that you have to do that ,i.e open your home to other travellers,Cyclist only tho'
I have an publication that shows all the cycle paths as was printed 2018by the ANWB , sort of a cyclist AA.

Top Bottom