LF2 Alternatives

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My suggestion is follow the 'Kustroute'( LF 1), untill you reach the 'Hook of Holland' ,then turn right and follow either bank of the Niuew Maas waterway, the Northern bank is probably the best side, this then brings you into Rotterdam.
This is great and I have ridden it, but using the northern bank does mean using the Hook fast ferry which you could avoid by turning off after the barrage after Stellendam. The best bit IMO is south of there, between Westenschouwen and Goederede. It's also quite a deviation west of a direct Brussels-Amsterdam route and I do also like Mechelen, Breda and Dordrecht.

The knudepunte system is a little confusing at first, but in conjunction with a proper cyclist map or Atlas from the ANWB , you can plot the days ride on the map , noting down the numbers of the junctions, in sequencitial order, jot them down on a scrap of paper, then tick them off as you go by, each junction is signed by a concrete mushroom, with an arrow and next junction number on it, with sometimes a map on a board, near by just to confirm where you are.
The mushrooms have almost all gone. The map boards and the reverse white-on-green signs are more reliable signs of junction nodes now.

You don't need a map or atlas from ANWB, although they are good, because OSM.org and renderings like cycle.travel and cyclosm.org show the nodes.

grldtnr

This is great and I have ridden it, but using the northern bank does mean using the Hook fast ferry which you could avoid by turning off after the barrage after Stellendam. The best bit IMO is south of there, between Westenschouwen and Goederede. It's also quite a deviation west of a direct Brussels-Amsterdam route and I do also like Mechelen, Breda and Dordrecht.

The mushrooms have almost all gone. The map boards and the reverse white-on-green signs are more reliable signs of junction nodes now.

You don't need a map or atlas from ANWB, although they are good, because OSM.org and renderings like cycle.travel and cyclosm.org show the nodes.
How things have changed in a short while, but I agree there is no need to cross at the Hook, there are a few ferry crossings further up river, some free, or a small charge.
But heading to The 'Dam after Rotterdam , there is a myriad of tracks to take, ultimately it depends where the OP wants to visit, some of the routes will be shared with motor traffic,but it isn't a problem, Dutch motorist treat cyclist with the utmost respect, with the shared lanes, but woe betide you , should you not use the segregated bike lanes, you will be told in no uncertain terms to use them, it's a Dutch quality , they do not lack coming forward to tell you what you should be doing, when it's unacceptable , they are just very direct about it.

There are also knooppunten apps. You type in your start and finish addresses and the app lists you all the knooppunten you have to follow and shows them on a map. Caveat, following the knoopunten is dull, very dull, very, very dull.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="mjr, post: 6565610, member: 34410

Is the F1 signed out of Brussels yet, or is it still necessary to follow fietsroute CK to that place beginning with B (Buda?).
[/QUOTE]

No not sign posted from Brussels until you are in Flanders.(the joy of competing jurisdictions)

you can follow the CK cycle route to get on it, as shown below. But there are a couple of new routes than can be used to reach it depending where in Brussels you are starting from. I’m happy to help here or in a pm .

https://www.routeyou.com/nl-be/route/view/7232786/fietsroute/f1-mechelen-sainctelette

Reactions: mjr

iamme

Hi there,

Had been planning a trip on the LF2 from Brussels to Amsterdam as a delayed 30th birthday adventure. Now the route has been discontinued I'm looking for information on alternative routes/maps. I'm assuming the cycle paths are still in situ but unsure as to whether they are operable.

Any help is greatly appreciated !

Did you do it? What would you recommend? I also want to cycle Brussels to Amsterdam, most likely in the week start 12th June. Finding it very hard to even get a basic map of LF2 online. I can barely use a smartphone so just want to do things the old fashioned paper way. Would be quite happy to have a long list of fietspunten to follow.

OP
OP
N

nylontoestraps

Did you do it? What would you recommend? I also want to cycle Brussels to Amsterdam, most likely in the week start 12th June. Finding it very hard to even get a basic map of LF2 online. I can barely use a smartphone so just want to do things the old fashioned paper way. Would be quite happy to have a long list of fietspunten to follow.

Hey there. Haven’t managed to do this yet due to covid and work, however it’s still my plan at some point this year. I traced most of the route on Google maps and it seemed to be cycle paths most of the way. Do you have a trip computer ? Hope you’re well !

Top Bottom